The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI-Well I bought these old tape preamps and there was a Mullard 12ax7 in each. They kindalook small crest with designation letters overtop, and the made in Great B...around the bottom. There are a few other stamped numbers/letters on them as well.

They do seem to sound a little cleaner than my Philips/mullards, so they will probably stay in my aftermatchless clone anyways, unles of course they are the high ones, after which if they test strong they will be sold.

Now my questions are ,

How is one to know if they are the valuable ones which seem to be worth like 80 bucks each or if they are the cheap 20 buck ones, is there some way to tell?

Oh yes I beleive these are the "longplates" with ribs??
FFS

Fred

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice score...your ears will tell you (or already have) what those tubes may be worth to you. Remember, there won't be any more of those made so you may just want to keep them regardless of the market value. I have factory tubes from some old Fenders that are both cosmetically and electronically like new because the amps were rarely used over the years hence no deterioration. Those are all keepers and are far superior in sound to any of the new offerings in the same tube type that I have heard. Hoarding can be beneficial:D

J.R.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
If they are labeled "Mullard" AND made in GB then they are already worth something. For some reason guys pay more for the ones labeled Mullard even though the rebrands are the exact same tube made in the same factory!

HI-Well I bought these old tape preamps and there was a Mullard 12ax7 in each. They kindalook small crest with designation letters overtop, and the made in Great B...around the bottom. There are a few other stamped numbers/letters on them as well.

They do seem to sound a little cleaner than my Philips/mullards, so they will probably stay in my aftermatchless clone anyways, unles of course they are the high ones, after which if they test strong they will be sold.

Now my questions are ,

How is one to know if they are the valuable ones which seem to be worth like 80 bucks each or if they are the cheap 20 buck ones, is there some way to tell?

Oh yes I beleive these are the "longplates" with ribs??
FFS

Fred

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ta

Well thats all good advice and thanks a lot for the fast response.
I do know my amp sounds better at least to me. andI do know that they last a way longer.
Ive never had much satisfaction with the new ones sound, maybe they are just too precise or something so Ill probably keep them.

I have put one in the #3 the driver and the #1 the 1st stage input tube, it seemed to get better with one in the driver too?

I didnt think the driver tube made any difference, I always used it for lower quality and microphonic ones.

Does having a high grade driver tube make the amp sound better or is it my over stretched aural imagination?

Also I just need a NOS EF86 for the #2 "tone tube" .
Have either of you or anyone else had experience with the various brands of ef86 /6267/6cf8, or e80f tubes which are avaialbe. Im concerned with the microphonics of brands, valvo,rft,lorenz etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts