The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that since I've got a VCR sized Fryette Power Station, it needs a home. If I put it in a rack, it can't just sit there by itself...right?

I'm not overly excited about the moogerfoogers I have, and I'm pretty upset with their customer service (email, phone call (voicemail), followed by email) with zero contact. I thought they were going for that "hometown care" vibe with kick-ass world-class products and support...anyhow...

So, my question is this:

What vintage rack effects sound awesome? I've currently lined up a 1980'S- FURMAN PQ-3 PARAMETRIC EQUALIZER-RED KNOB -RACK UNIT. This is the one Dimebag used to use, so I'm pretty excited about it.

I would love a noise gate - they've got some older ones for cheap, but I'm not sure which ones are good.

Modulation - multi-effects...did they make any analog multi-effects with presets back then?

I'm also open to offers on gear, if you have something cool - so don't feel like a creep for letting me know what you have.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
If you can find some Rockman ones, try them out.
I have the Stereo Echo--and I really like it.
Although begin more pedal based I used my Strymon Brigadier more often, but no reason I can't hook them both up (& I do that)

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to keep it to vintage style rack effects, since then power station needs one. There has to be some old classics out there.

I've been looking closely at the eventide h3000.

I put some lowball offers on a lexicon unit as well.

I'm still trying to get a handle on this market. Never checked it out before, so it's pretty fun at the moment.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is going against the grain....but with the quality of new digital units currently being released....there is a lot choice to keep your rig compact with great tones and possibly save a few bucks:

Line 6 Helix
Fractal FX8

are two that come to mind.
Oops. See above.
If you can find some Rockman ones, try them out.
I have the Stereo Echo--and I really like it.
Although begin more pedal based I used my Strymon Brigadier more often, but no reason I can't hook them both up (& I do that)
I'll check if they do multi-effects. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
25,103 Posts
I have an older Lexicon MPX100 that I picked up for $50, and a Behringer Virtualizer Pro DSP1000, that I picked up for the same price. Not state of the art, but lots of nice sounds, and full MIDI control. Keep your eyes peeled and you may find similar stuff locally.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an older Lexicon MPX100 that I picked up for $50, and a Behringer Virtualizer Pro DSP1000, that I picked up for the same price. Not state of the art, but lots of nice sounds, and full MIDI control. Keep your eyes peeled and you may find similar stuff locally.
Couldn't find any quality guitar demos of the lexicon. The BVP is cool. I'm thinking of getting a rack with extra space just for deals like the ones you mention.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Modern floor effects are leaps and bounds better then any vintage rack effect. You can find some cool old Ibanez and Boss delays/choruses if you're persistent.
I'd get a TC G Major II if I had the choice.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Modern floor effects are leaps and bounds better then any vintage rack effect. You can find some cool old Ibanez and Boss delays/choruses if you're persistent.
I'd get a TC G Major II if I had the choice.
Admittedly, I am out of my element, but surely something from eventide that someone like steve vai was using has to be kick-ass. I've tried/owned the eventide stompboxes and thought they were outstanding and I know a lot of the sounds were carried over from the H units.

I'm also going to assume that Eventide had competitors - I just don't know who they are...yet.

Yes, the TC G Major II was on the radar. I almost bought one off TGP a few days ago, but backed out.

·
Premium Member
25,103 Posts
Couldn't find any quality guitar demos of the lexicon. The BVP is cool. I'm thinking of getting a rack with extra space just for deals like the ones you mention.
Doesn't show the full range of capabilities, but isn't terrible. I whipped up a little footswitch unit for mine that lets me remotely bypass and do tap tempo. I find the sound quality pretty good. One of the neat tricks is that you can do "strum tempo" as well as tap tempo.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Anyone taking responsibility for starting the pool for how long it takes Chuck to go back to a small board? Haha

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Premium Member
17,345 Posts
Digitech GSP 2101 I think it was called, the G major, mesa racktifier, Marshall JMP-1 preamp, ENGL E-530 (?)...

or do the proper thing and buy a 10-U rack and load it with blinky lights, VU meter and a tuner!

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Digitech GSP 2101 I think it was called, the G major, mesa racktifier, Marshall JMP-1 preamp, ENGL E-530 (?)...

or do the proper thing and buy a 10-U rack and load it with blinky lights, VU meter and a tuner!
Wow, that digitech has some cool settings. I'm watching one now on eBay. So, is it something that can be hooked up to my Marshall? I don't understand the 'tube preamp' part of these units. Can I just use the effects, or do I have to use it as an amp too?

·
Premium Member
17,345 Posts
Wow, that digitech has some cool settings. I'm watching one now on eBay. So, is it something that can be hooked up to my Marshall? I don't understand the 'tube preamp' part of these units. Can I just use the effects, or do I have to use it as an amp too?
I think you can turn off the amp sim - you'd have to look that up. It's a preamp unit with effects, a la axe-fx (but much older).

·
Premium Member
4,238 Posts
One of the guy we share jam space with is raving about the Lexicon MX200. He uses it for almost all is mod/reverb/delay needs. Worth a look. :)

1 - 20 of 86 Posts