The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I haven't been "enjoying" playing my (only) electric guitar that much and am strongly considering selling it and my two amps and just playing acoustic. None of my electric gear is fancy, valuable or difficult to find. In addition, I know that I can always get electric gear again in the future if I feel that I want to have it available.

Just wondering about the experiences of others who have "unplugged" and their comments in general.

I would go through my reasoning in more depth but I suspect it would be somewhat boring as it is individual to me.

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I once quit playing electric for 2 days.

upload_2017-4-13_18-26-24.jpeg

Didn't go so well for me. Good luck, and enjoy your trip into more acoustic stuff. There's no right answer here - go where your muse takes you.

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
I haven't quite come to that point yet, Dave but I am feeling more and more that I wish to play acoustic rather than electric. I don't know if I am going back to my roots or it's just a change in me but it seems to be gaining speed.

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's no right answer here - go where your muse takes you.
Very true, and I agree. However, I'm wondering how many other GC members have done this (or the reverse...for that matter) for more than a short duration and what their comments might be (if any)

I don't know if I am going back to my roots
That is certainly part of it for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I gave up electric for a couple years and played acoustic exclusively. Lasted until a month ago - and I have only played my electric since then. Weird. I do find that my playing has gone off in a whole other direction, and I have really gotten out of my comfort zone since switching back.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Dave, I can give that ES a loving home until you want it back. It wont leave my basement :).

If you arent enjoying electric guitar, put it away until you gotta take it out. If you have room to store it (unless the funds are for a new acoustic) I'd suggest that.

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave up electric for a couple years and played acoustic exclusively. Lasted until a month ago - and I have only played my electric since then. Weird. I do find that my playing has gone off in a whole other direction, and I have really gotten out of my comfort zone since switching back.
Interesting.

Do you have friends that you get together with to play (either electric or acoustic) guitar?
If yes, did that influence you original decision (to go to acoustic exclusively) or your recent decision to return solely to electric?

I can fully understand the whole comfort zone thing. Maybe I am just too lazy, and/or lack the necessary confidence and motivation to do the needed work to really improve.

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave, I can give that ES a loving home until you want it back. It wont leave my basement :).

If you arent enjoying electric guitar, put it away until you gotta take it out. If you have room to store it (unless the funds are for a new acoustic) I'd suggest that.
Do you mean the MIJ Greco ES? I sold it to @starjag's son last fall. They live only a few blocks away and we socialize on occasion, so I can visit...LOL

I don't need funds for a new acoustic as I just got one very recently (Yamaha) and I have 3 other acoustics.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I haven't played my electric guitar in over a year and I don't miss it.

There's just too many choices when playing electric. Amps, tubes, pedals, pickups. I found I was thinking more about all the choices there were then actually playing the guitar. Acoustic is just honest and simple. You can't hide behind walls of distortion and effects. Its you, the pick and the strings. I have gotten into the tones of different types of woods but that still seems more real. It came from a tree!

I also joined a song circle, folk jam thing and it's a lot of fun. Fiddles, piano, acoustic guitars, singing.

I think in a band situation I prefer electric. No drums and bass I prefer acoustic and my band days are over.

That being said if I had a song idea that called for electric or wanted to record a cover that required electric I would.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Do you mean the MIJ Greco ES? I sold it to @starjag's son last fall. They live only a few blocks away and we socialize on occasion, so I can visit...LOL

I don't need funds for a new acoustic as I just got one very recently (Yamaha) and I have 3 other acoustics.
What Yamaha did you get?

I ordered a FG830 three weeks ago from L & M and am trying to be patient.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
interesting idea. I think it's something I could manage but my concern would be I would be giving up too many sonic possibilities so unless forced, I wouldn't do it.
It's a real treat to have been playing an acoustic and then to change things up, plug in one of my electrics and then back, etc.

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
As many of you likely remember, I have a 5th Avenue Kingpin II and I play that mostly unplugged but it's just not enough acoustically for me. I need the real thing to satisfy my acoustic itch.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I wouldn't sell your current gear. I did that once and regretted it a few months later when my mood and guys I played with changed. I'm going through it again now. I have a sweet newish to me amp that was inspiring for a while but the last month I just play my acoustic.

I also find it depends how technical you are on either. I used to play solo Don Ross or Andy Mckee style stuff all the time and after a good year since my last acoustic binge, I just can't comp it. On the other hand, lead usually comes back pretty easy on electric as it is much easier to play.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
I wouldn't do it either. For me, the acoustic guitar and electric guitar are two 'different' instruments. There's a lot more I can do sonically with the electric as opposed to the acoustic. Except for the recent house concert I have not played a gig with an acoustic guitar and I don't feel that is going to change soon.

·
Premium Member
10,925 Posts
Keep an electric and an amp. Store them somewhere safe. You don't have to use them, or even care, but you might find yourself in the position of needing them on occasion.

I've never gone as far as being without an electric, and I play mostly acoustic instruments, happily. My last foreseeable electric gig is next weekend, so after that I'll play even less electric.

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the informative, interesting and helpful replies. I will be away all day and will respond in detail later this evening.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I wouldn't do it either. For me, the acoustic guitar and electric guitar are two 'different' instruments. There's a lot more I can do sonically with the electric as opposed to the acoustic. Except for the recent house concert I have not played a gig with an acoustic guitar and I don't feel that is going to change soon.
While I am far from being a good (or even decent) player, this is what came to my mind as well. There are certain techniques and sounds I'm learning on each that just don't seem to translate well from one to the other. It seems they both have their place.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
But they are both guitar. Same tuning, same layout, skills are translated from one to the other. I don't see the either/or in this.

This is the same as I think:

Keep an electric and an amp. Store them somewhere safe. You don't have to use them, or even care, but you might find yourself in the position of needing them on occasion.

I've never gone as far as being without an electric, and I play mostly acoustic instruments, happily. My last foreseeable electric gig is next weekend, so after that I'll play even less electric.
You never know where your muse will take you. I think of it as a ride I'm on. I ain't fully in control. If easily replaced, sure sell your stuff. But I wouldn't be surprised if you decide to buy some electric stuff later. Or maybe not.

I'm a guitar player. I have to have both. I played a lot of acoustic when I bought my newest acoustic guitar. I play out with both. Now a new band has me really playing lots of electric (learning new songs, practicing with them, etc.).

But still, I'm a guitar player. Period. I don't play uke or mandolin or pedal steel or anything else. Just guitar, but all aspects of it (acoustic, electric, 12 string, slide, open-tunings, etc).

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
For the past three months I have been playing acoustic much more than electric, probably close to 80% acoustic. Before that I was 95% electric. My reason for changing is I am trying to learn to sing and play at the same time. I find it a lot easier, and it sounds better with an acoustic. I also was tired of lugging so much gear around with me. Three of my four acoustics have a built in pickup. I'm not in a band but I really enjoy playing with other musicians and play in both public and private jams at least once a week. I like the freedom of showing up, plugging my guitar in, then when it's time to go unplug and I'm done. With an electric it was at least two trips (amp and guitar, and gear bag) from the house to the car, from the car to the venue, from the venue to the car, from the car to the house. It has definitely changed my playing, I think for the better. I am much better at transposing on the fly as I try to figure out what key I can sing a song in. Playing lead on an acoustic is very different, whole tone bends are almost impossible. Playing the bass line for Sunshine of Your Love along with the bass while an electric plays the lead part sounds awesome on an acoustic by the way.

I've sold off several of my electrics but I'm down to five that are keepers. I'm sure some day I'll switch back to mostly electric.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts