The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been overly happy with klones. Mainly , because I don't think they pair well with Marshall style amps.

I'm in love with the tone of my Headstrong amp and would love to add some transparent dirt. The Soul food feels good with it and the overdrive is good, but there's a definite difference in tone when I kick it on.

Any thoughts? I'm kinda curious about the Tumnus at this point. I'll be returning my soul food.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You want a clone of a pedal with a distinct mid-bump to be transparent?
I was under the impression that the soul food was a transparent overdrive from a salesperson, and since the soul food was meant to be a klone, I just assumed they were all suppose to be transparent.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
If you don't mind modding the SF, try cutting the centre wire to the TREBLE pot.
That should remove all tonal changes.
Disclaimer, I haven't tried this mod, but looking the schematic it should be fine.
Worse case you can solder it back on.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Transparent is a buzzword. Nothing is transparent. Everything has a voicing. What people will call a transparent overdrive is just something that compliments his or her amp and guitar. That’s why everybody loves different overdrives. Imagine if one overdrive was truly transparent and just added some grit? We’d all buy that one for sure.
There are drives that blend your guitar with the drive that might work.
Also what is I that you notice when you turn the Soulfood on that you don’t like? The bottom end disappears? A mid bump?

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I have owned a 1x10" Headstrong Lil King and a 1x12" Lil King. I know they are not the same as the SC5, but I really liked a Timmy pedal with them. You want transparent overdrive? You want a Timmy

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Transparent is a buzzword. Nothing is transparent. Everything has a voicing. What people will call a transparent overdrive is just something that compliments his or her amp and guitar. That’s why everybody loves different overdrives. Imagine if one overdrive was truly transparent and just added some grit? We’d all buy that one for sure.
There are drives that blend your guitar with the drive that might work.
Also what is I that you notice when you turn the Soulfood on that you don’t like? The bottom end disappears? A mid bump?
I'm not sure I agree that there are no transparent ODs/boosts, but that's for another thread.

It's hard to explain what the SF does exactly, but it takes away from the amp's juicy goodness. I suppose I could do a sound demo, but I've already decided that it's going back.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have owned a 1x10" Headstrong Lil King and a 1x12" Lil King. I know they are not the same as the SC5, but I really liked a Timmy pedal with them. You want transparent overdrive? You want a Timmy
That pedal definitely crossed my mind.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
I tend to agree that, by definition, an OD isn't transparent. It is on purpose shaping the tone.

An EQ pedal better be transparent when set flat, or it isn't very good. I also think compressors should be transparent from an EQ point of view, really only messing with the attack/decay/sustain/release part of the signal. The less impact on the dynamics of the signal, the less you should hear it.

Depends on how tightly you define 'transparent'. I find most musicians generally don't use some words accurately, as they go on about haunting mids and crystal lattici. I would lean towards a Timmy, as it is the least colored, IME, until you get the gain up a bit.

Klon(e)s do have a particular sound, unless the gain is all the way down. And then I have to wonder, what's the point of having it there. For the most part, that's true of any pedal - what's the point of putting one in your chain if it sounds like this:

upload_2018-2-11_9-24-37.jpeg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts