San Jose, Calif.
Toronto, Ont.
Miami, Fla.
Portland. Ore.

Source: Tom Tom's Traffic Index 2017

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
That's interesting....Boston used to be up there with Toronto.
Ive driven in Miami, didn't think it was that bad, not counting Saturday night cruising on the strip....and most of those drivers like it slow so you can ogle their lamborghinis.

·
Premium Member
2,619 Posts
I live in Squamish, a small town and rarely drive in traffic. Last May my wife's youngest daughter had her first daughter. Since then we have been driving to Coquitlam at least once a week. I totally agree that Vancouver traffic is very congested. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day we go over the Ironworker's Bridge, it is always congested. Our normal time going eastbound is around three o'clock. It is often a parking lot. Highway 1 from Lonsdale on the North Shore out to Brunette in Coquitlam sometimes takes as long as the 60 km drive from Squamish to the North Shore. The vast majority of the cars are single occupant.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
The vast majority of the cars are single occupant.
And driven by people far more concerned about their phone than their lane.

Everyone wants to think that where they live is the worst traffic. I used to think that about Calgary. I had no fvcking idea! I really do live in one of the worst - and I have proof now. I'm so glad I commute against the grain and at off hours - I couldn't take the commute I did a decade ago.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Map Military camouflage Pattern World Screenshot
The vast majority of the cars are single occupant.
That is exactly what I said to my wife.

We flew to southern Ontario to visit family, and took public transit everywhere. It was fast, cheap and comfortable. It was FUN.

This comment was made in the small town of Stoufville. Imagine all of the Southern Ontario!!! The vehicles roaring around with one person inside

And then provincial legislature has the nerve to ban a coal-burning plant in my old home town in the middle of a northern wilderness. You can almost see the plant at the centre of the photo. A little white round dot where one minor highway, a single railroad, a power line, and a few bush roads converge. The economically challenged town is just visible miles away in the south.

Ironically, I now live near Bienfait SK, where the coal used to come from. Currently very little traffic from there on the train tracks through my village.

Strike three: the Bienfait coal also powered a plant in Thunder Bay. Also shut down, of course. It is beside a paper mill which is in trouble because of the high cost of electricity.

To call the politicians in toronto "asleep-at-the-wheel" is too flattering. Let's go with "braindead".

I can understand not burning coal in the south. The city-slickers definitely have enough trouble with pollution from themselves and the States. But to hurt the economies of small towns in a virtual paradise with that blanket legislation... eff off eh.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I live in Squamish, a small town and rarely drive in traffic. Last May my wife's youngest daughter had her first daughter. Since then we have been driving to Coquitlam at least once a week. I totally agree that Vancouver traffic is very congested. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day we go over the Ironworker's Bridge, it is always congested. Our normal time going eastbound is around three o'clock. It is often a parking lot. Highway 1 from Lonsdale on the North Shore out to Brunette in Coquitlam sometimes takes as long as the 60 km drive from Squamish to the North Shore. The vast majority of the cars are single occupant.

I moved away almost three years ago. I went back this summer to for friends and a wedding and found traffic to be much worse, and I used to drive around all day for work so would know the difference any time of the day.

It used to be that the old Port Mann kept the urban sprawl from the valley contained on the east side of the bridge letting it bleed in slower, now it has screwed up much of the TriCities and Vancouver highway since everything just comes to a stand still there instead. Also, there were less cars, so the grid system always worked pretty well except for half hour rush.

They need better rapid transit and that should have been considered when they built that 10billion dollar bridge/'upgrades'

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Traffic you say?

Don Valley Pkwy, Toronto at 6:00 Friday night trying to make my way to rehearsal! I absolutely love it. It's a lot of fun! Why be upset with something you have little control over?

Now if I happen to take the Go train, that is a different beast all together! I love the train ride but the crowds of people at Union station are a little bit too much to deal with. Been almost knocked down twice. People trying to pass me running down a set of stairs. The neck of my gig bag sticks out to the right! The right sized person, the right angle and I am down for the count! There are signs that tell you to slow down.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Grew up throughout the GTA. You can have it. Been away from it for over 30 years. My daily commute is nothing but farmland, small towns and hamlets. Will not change it for the world. Staying put until they put me in a home. If I leave here, its for either Muskoka or NS when I retire. The only thing I miss about the city is the culture and dining.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Vancouver is or should I say has become nearly imposable to navigate easily anymore. 2 years back I could go from home to Vancouver General Hospital in 35 minutes, now with all the bike lanes etc. it takes almost 60 minutes and our beany brained politicians claim this place is less congested now, an extra 25 minutes to go the same distance is less congested. Who'da thunk it.
B#(*

·
Registered
10,098 Posts
Grew up throughout the GTA. You can have it. Been away from it for over 30 years. My daily commute is nothing but farmland, small towns and hamlets. Will not change it for the world. Staying put until they put me in a home. If I leave here, its for either Muskoka or NS when I retire. The only thing I miss about the city is the culture and dining.
I know it's not for everyone but I love the city. Love the hustle and the craziness. I would move right downtown if I had the money. Unfortunately no one else in my family except for my youngest son would want to move down there.

Walking along Front Street last Friday on my way to rehearsal with my headphones on. I was listening to Panama by EVH! The CN Tower changing colors in the background. My fav city, my fav music and going to do something that I love. Who could ask for anything more than that? That makes me so happy.

·
Premium Member
26,641 Posts
My experience of being a driver in Vancouver was that you could be in one of two states: looking for the turnoff, or cursing and trying to figure out how you could double-back because you missed the turnoff. Seemed to me that the congestion was made of those two sub-populations.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have driven in all but San Jose and Portland. During rush hours they are all hideous, but weekend traffic or off hour traffic seems to be much better in the American cities I have driven in vs Toronto. Seems that the only time Toronto traffic is decent is between midnight and 5 am. I hate driving in there

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Traffic you say?

Don Valley Pkwy, Toronto at 6:00 Friday night trying to make my way to rehearsal! I absolutely love it. It's a lot of fun! Why be upset with something you have little control over?

Now if I happen to take the Go train, that is a different beast all together! I love the train ride but the crowds of people at Union station are a little bit too much to deal with. Been almost knocked down twice. People trying to pass me running down a set of stairs. The neck of my gig bag sticks out to the right! The right sized person, the right angle and I am down for the count! There are signs that tell you to slow down.
So sorry, Lola! I was in a hurry to catch the next train. I wondered if that was you.:):)

On the Toronto traffic scene, I feel sorry for anyone that has to drive in it. It used to be when I lived there in the 70's you could get across the city from about 10am - 2pm without hitting your brakes. I don't think you can do than now until 9 or 10pm. We just were visiting and left on the holiday Monday at noon and there was still a slowdown going east on the 401 at the 400.

Reactions: Lola

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Born and raised in Toronto and worked for 33 years there, much of it commuting from the eastern suburbs to the western burbs in the midst of rush hour. Leaving the area and moving to Tillsonburg was like going to heaven, and I hate it when family matters take me back to the GTA.

I love small town life and the friendly obliging people I have come to know. A car horn rarely blows in anger, except when someone from Toronto passes through!

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Did you drop by for a visit? A long ways from home aren't you? lol
Yep, about 1600 km each way. I took in a ski trip in Quebec on the way to the place shown in my avatar. Most of my business is in Ontario so I need to make two or three visits a year. I consider it a small price to pay for where I now live.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts