The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for me, its the loon sound.

no, not the sound of a real loon, but the sampled sound used by creatively challenged advertising agencies trying to attract the attention of the cottage crowd.

i have even heard it used to advertise products that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with cottagers or cottage life.

:mad:

-dh

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well, to each his own I guess. The most annoying sound to me is that really abstract jazz. You know the kind where the guitarist goes way out on a limb and never returns? It actually gives me nervous ticks. I'd take a fake loon over that any day. I know lots of people who would disagree with me though! :smile:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, to each his own I guess. The most annoying sound to me is that really abstract jazz. You know the kind where the guitarist goes way out on a limb and never returns? It actually gives me nervous ticks. I'd take a fake loon over that any day. I know lots of people who would disagree with me though! :smile:
...my drummer, for one!!!!

he loves that stuff!

my girlfriend feels exactly as you do, despite the fact that she loves music in general.

i'm somewhere in the middle..

-dh

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I have a similar problem with most styles of jazz, unfortunately. I love most music, and can listen to pretty much anything, but most of the faster jazz "noodling" on any instrument leaves me cold. I remember when I was younger trying to listen to John McLaughlin or Coltrane, because everyone raved about their stuff ... nothing! I do enjoy jazz stuff like Chet Baker, Billi Holiday, Louis Armstrong ie stuff where I can hear individual notes of the solo. "Yeah, I can hear that you know lots of modes and scales, but do you have to squeeze every one into every solo ?"

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"Muskrat love?"

I still get the willies when I hear that chittering sound effect in the old Carpenters' song "Muskrat Love".

That song was played so often when it first came out that not only did I grow to hate it but I was driven even further to the point where I considered it...:eek:

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
For me it's a toss up between a Roland Jazz Chorus with a tonne of distortion and a Strat (or anything else for that matter) pluged into a marshall with the presence cranked.

Either one is razor blades to my ears.

My non musical choice would be a human (especially a child or female) screaming in pain or terror.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
My non musical choice would be a human (especially a child or female) screaming in pain or terror.

Hey Andy, do you remember those annoying "Longos" supermarket radio ads where they used a kid's choir with not one of the little rats actually hitting the right notes?

It got to where I had nearly busted my finger hitting the button on the car radio whenever the ad started to shriek...:eek:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've done several seasons of radio golf ads and now I often spot a competitor's ad using Tropical Bird Sample #1 or #2 :eek: global warming is one thing but.......

I hate the sound of anything falling and hitting the tongue and groove instant flooring planks...it has a hollow resonance that makes my shoulder blades curl back and smack each other :frown:

Andy

·
Premium Member
16,673 Posts
A slightly out of tune horn section has got to be close to the top of the list for me.

An out of tune ANYthing really.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Alarm clock buzzer. No contest.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
A slightly out of tune horn section has got to be close to the top of the list for me.

An out of tune ANYthing really.
Back in the early 70's there was a local band called Vehicle that had some chart success. Anyhow, one night I was at a local spot called the Hunt Club and Vehicle was playing. They were covering Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath" which was one of my favourites when the band leader took the solo with his trumpet!

It sounded so ghastly and so inappropriate to the arrangement that I walked out and refused to ever go see that band again!

I mean, even I've got SOME taste!:smile:

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Paul McCartney singing 'Silly Love Songs'.

·
Premium Member
13,055 Posts
Alarm clock buzzer. No contest.
Yeah, despite how bad Silly Love Songs sounds, I've got to go with that. I surprised my alarm clock has survived so long given the verbal and physical abuse I've given it.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts