The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MOSPORT had a 50th anniversary historic event this weekend...50 years since the first F1 race there, in 1967

a whole lot of vintage F1 cars showed up.

including one of Gilles Villeneuves Ferraris:

a BRM

Ronnie Peterson's March:

a Walter Wolf driven by Jody Scheckter ( I believe he won Monaco in this? )

Graham Hill's car from when he started his own team:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Francois Cevert & Jackie Stewart's Tyrrell:

it was truly amazing to see all these cars lapping MOSPORT at speed...it was nearly a full grid of cars

the engine sounds were fantastic, echoing around the circuiit/valley and through the trees.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Been there a number of times. Can-Am cars caused around 7.2 on the Richter scale I was sure. My brother raced there a few times in a Sunbeam Alpine. Last time there a tire broke off - after doing several 360s, he walked away. End of his race career. I was last there with my daughter when she 13. Enjoyed it a lot.

Oh,... and the Strawberry Fields Rock Festival in August 1970 :)

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Been there a few times in the 70's for motorcycle racing. Usually camped overnight. It was always a fun weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
I was there for the last F1 race in Oct '77 it was a good weekend.

edit; thinking about it now there's a guitar connection here, I went that weekend with a friend who was an American from NYC working for Electro Harmonix, he was in Toronto setting dealerships in Canada including L&M

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I saw almost all of those cars run there during the 70s.

Kickin my ass for not going to this last weekend. Some friends went but for some reason I didn't.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
I loved watching f1 as a kid...far too often though I got to see my heroes get killed, and eventually my interest went with them.

Loved the sounds that resonated with me through all these years and influenced my choice of bucket list car last year.

There's was something really awesome about not having a clue what any of those sponsorship brands did too lol.

Although I'm a Ferrari guy, that John Player Special Lotus car was soooo badass.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Why did they stop racing F1 there?
It stopped at Mosport because it was no longer up to world F1 standards. Would the Blue Jays still be in MLB if they were still playing at the old Exhibition Stadium? Same thing.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Awesome pics, thanks Bolero!
Last time I was at Mosport was for that debacle they called Edenfest in '96.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
Here's a pic of GV drifting a 312 T4 (possibly the one above). He love those tail-out moments, although probably not the fastest way around a track by that time.

upload_2017-6-20_1-11-57.jpeg

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Geez - it's been years since I've been to Mosport. I loved that track - especially being able to pretty much walk the entire circumference during a race to catch all the different corners and such. Can you still do that?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, you can walk/drive around the whole track & get excellent views

it's amazing compared to say, the Toronto Indy, where you can barely see through the advertising in the fencing, and all the restricted seating

not only that, you can camp trackside

I camped right at the hump on the back straight. it's pretty cool to wake up to cars lapping in the morning

ticket for the whole weekend, including camping, was only $30 (!!)

there were lots of families/kids there too. they were having a blast

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Great thread OP. Never made it out to Mosport but have been to Montreal and Detroit (When they held it it.) a bunch of times.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Too bad they put that CT bridge up. It cuts the spectator view of cars coming up the straight and going into 8.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts