The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You've almost certainly seen this amp here before. I picked it up recently out of curiosity and, while it lived up to all expectations, it's simply "too much" amp for me practically speaking. Besides that, I don't really have the cab(s) to support it so I've satisfied my curiosity now and can pass it along to someone able to appreciate it more fully for what it is and what it's entirely capable of. I don't typically post FT but I'm always open to interesting small-medium sized combos, either vintage or vintage-inspired modern builds. I think many of you here would know what I'm into amp-wise. I'm including Glen's description of the amp below (including new pricing) but will also say that it's in very clean condition (no scuffs or scratches etc), is fully functional, and includes the original footswitch. Oh, and I've since installed the remaining chassis bolt that was missing when Hugh owned the amp. Anyway, let me know if you have something you think I may be interested in. 🙂

The Perplex’d S3 has 3 INDEPENDENT channels, with separate voltages on channels to suit their designated purposes. The S3 Lead channel is voiced somewhat more vintage than the S2 model Lead channel, keeping the Lead and Crunch channels balanced. Add to this a 3 way Bright switch on their Gain controls to further help in balancing them or adding 'bite' to each separately. The GLOBAL section has a Master / Presence / Depth control, with a 2 way switch for Presence cap - letting you decide if you want classic British value or a value that works more like a Raw control - pushing the overall frequencies 'more alive' jumping out of the speaker cabinet. (similar to the Attack control on the S2). The Clean channel has a lot of headroom with Volume / Treble / Bass controls, balancing nicely with the Distortion channels, keeping the same flavour.

SPECS S3 - $2699 USD
THREE CHANNELS - Clean, Crunch, Lead

• 45 watts
  • Solid state rectification
  • 2 x EL34 output tubes- 5 x 12AX7 preamp tubes
  • 3 way bright switch (on Rhythm and Lead Channels)
  • Tube buffered effects loop
  • Global - Depth/Presence/Master
  • NEW * 2 way TEXTURE Switch for Presence cap value
  • 4/8/16 output impedance
  • Dimensions: (H) 9.5″ x (W) 26″ x (D) 8-1/2″
  • Weight approx. 35 lbs.
Rectangle Font Electronic device Gadget Musical instrument accessory

Font Rectangle Audio equipment Electronic device Electric blue

Font Rectangle Electric blue Metal Art

Audio equipment Rectangle Electronic component Font Composite material

Gadget Audio equipment Font Electronic instrument Electric blue

Rectangle Audio equipment Composite material Font Gadget