The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL/DR:

If you order a pedal from Mooer Audio on Amazon.ca, it may come from China and you could get hit with a huge brokerage fee.

Medium length version:

I went to the MooerAudio.ca website to order a pedal because it said it had free shipping, but when I got to the checkout screen it said the shipping was $15, which really put me off.

I found Mooer Audio on Amazon.ca. It doesn’t say on there anywhere that it isn’t MooerAudio.ca or would come from elsewhere, the price is the same, shipping was only $5. I put in my order and got a tracking number for DHL with the package coming from China.

The good news is that it is coming Monday, the bad news is DHL called to tell me I owe $50.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Long butt-hurt version:

I couldn’t find a particular book on Amazon.ca for a reasonable price and there didn’t seem to be an eBook available, although it is on Kindle in the U.S. [I have since found it on iBooks, so don’t forget to look there.]

I found the book at Cosmo Music, a sale item, spent hours looking at the sale items for something else to buy but found very little. The price was $7, the shipping was about $12, which was still cheaper than the U.S. Kindle price.

I ordered it and asked if they could find a cheaper way to ship it. They emailed back that since I hadn’t spent $99 I would have to pay for shipping. That’s not the question I asked FFS. I decided I probably wouldn’t deal with them again.

A couple days later I found a pedal I wanted to buy, got miffed with MooerAudio.ca, noticed that Cosmo hadn’t shipped the book yet, so I thought, here’s a chance for them to redeem themselves, emailed asking if they could combine the orders. A couple of hours later the book got a tracking number.

OK, so they wanted whatever the difference is between what they charge for shipping and what they get charged for shipping. These are “revenue streams”. Policies get made to maximize revenue streams.

What did that $5 buy them? I said to myself, this is now a store of last resort.

So I went looking for another place to buy the pedal. The one store here that had carried Mooer Audio doesn’t list them on their website, and when I asked about that particular pedal a few months ago, they just shrugged. I think it hadn’t been released yet.

So I ordered from Amazon.ca. I kind of had the feeling I could be getting a Chinese knock-off, I hadn’t realized it is a Chinese company! So, I’m not too upset about getting hit, but they could have done the paperwork themselves and saved me the brokerage fee.

Cosmo emailed the next day, sorry we didn’t get back to you, what did you want to buy? Forget it.

All of this because I didn’t follow my Policie Maison Doyon, which is, if you ever have an inkling of doubt, don’t.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
i bought my Fishman Loudbox mini from Amazon. When UPS showed up at my door with a 100 and something dollar brokerage bill I paid it reluctantly. Contacted Amazon to complain about it and the seller refunded the brokerage fees. Have you contacted Amazon?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will contact the seller when I get the pedal and make sure it is a legitimate charge.

I didn’t answer the phone, but it was very strange that DHL called and said I could pay before the delivery on, I assume, their website. I went to the tracking page and to DHL.ca but I found no request to pay anything and there was nowhere to pay it.

I think the brokerage fee is about $25, if I’m being charged GST & PST. Amazon didn’t take those.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I use DHL all the time for Asian shipments. Brokerage is typically $26.00 plus taxes. Way better than UPS or FedEx.
Go to www.dhl.ca/mydelivery from there you can pay in advance, and schedule a delivery or give permission to leave the package. You need the tracking number. Those instructions would have been in the phone message.
These extra charges are why I don't use Amazon, or other on line stores unless i have no other choice. It usually ends up more expensive than buying local or at least within Canada. Amazon is my last resort.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mypayment.dhl.ca

Thanks. Yup, almost exactly $26.

Do you ever successfully get the Asian shippers to fill the brokerage forms?

The best place I deal with is Digikey in the U.S. They do all the brokering and include the fees in the prices.

P

·
0 Posts
As a rule I only import through mail. No brokerage fees, most of the time no HST.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Do you ever successfully get the Asian shippers to fill the brokerage forms?
If it is coming DHL, there is going to be brokerage. Sometimes they give shipping options, and even though it might be more expensive I go EMS if I want quick or Epacket if I want cheap. Both are mail service and they come right to the door. Epacket can be really slow and tracking doesn't always work.
he best place I deal with is Digikey in the U.S
I order from DK (and Mouser) two or three times a week. I agree they are great for shipping. What I'm buying from Asia though, neither carries.
As a rule I only import through mail. No brokerage fees, most of the time no HST.
Absolutely, the mail can be great. The problem is if it is large or heavy. CP has size and weight restrictions the couriers do not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the heads up I was just looking at getting the Radar + one of their mini-preamps. I've had success previously ordering from distributors directly on ebay.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
That website is almost identical to the MooerAudio.ca website, has the same phone number, too.
The guy who runs it claims he's the sole Canadian distributor. A quick look at his place (went there to pick up an order once) showed that it may be the case! He runs it out of his house which is a habitrail of pathways through tons of pedals and gear!
I've ordered from them on Reverb as well. The ad claimed "free shipping" but I was charged to ship about 50kms within Canada. I made the suggestion that they change the wording but it appears that they may ship free to the States but Canada Post bones them for shipping within Canada and they have to pass it on.
Anyway, it sounds like the item you bought was being drop shipped from China. I didn't have that experience but I may have just bought something they had in stock locally.
Hope you get what you're looking for from somewhere with minimal pain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've never heard of this happening until now, and I've bought a few knockoff pedals on amazon....
Then again, i never order things that aren't prime eligible. Also, I always see something along the lines of "Sold by (insert brand name) - fulfilled by amazon"
if not "sold by and fulfilled by amazon".

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Been buying almost everything from Amazon.ca these days. But if it goes through DHL, UPS or Fedex, I don't buy it. As posted above, I only buy it if is "Sold by (insert brand name) - fulfilled by amazon" or "sold by and fulfilled by amazon".

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
Did you ever get the feeling that somehow e-commerce was meant for someone else? As if there was whole set of near invisible rules directed at those folks who weren't "invited to the party"? There is a very specific form of disappointment that happens when something you thought was an amazing bargain arrives and the added charges magically transform it to something you could have bought locally, at list price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts