The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Montreal Stompbox Exhibit

Montreal Stompbox Exhibit – May 6-7, Moog Audio | Delicious Audio Blog - Stompbox Exhibit, Synth Expo and MixCon

The Deli, Delicious Audio, and Moog Audio are proud to announce the 1st edition of The Montreal StompBox Exhibit, a free for all interactive display of guitar effect pedals – pictures from our past events here.

Hosted at Montreal’s premier guitar store Moog Audio, located in the heart of the city, this year’s exhibit is scheduled for May Saturday 6 and Sunday 7 (from noon to 7pm on Saturday, and from noon to 6pm on Sunday).

We will post updated information about the Montreal show on the Stompbox Exhibit’s Facebook page.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did anyone go? I couldn't make it in the end. :(

I saw a couple of pictures on Facebook. The store is the size of a postage stamp so I wonder how it went. Probably not ideal for this type of event.

·
Registered
24,515 Posts
I drove down with a friend yesterday and stayed for about 4hrs. Some of the demonstrators were in attendance - Empress, Chase Bliss, Fairfield, Retro-Sonic, Outlaw, TC Electronic, and a few others - but there was a half dozen displays that were unattended. Wampler, Malekko, Earthquaker, Red Panda, Henretta, and several others were essentially an unattended pedalboard, with a headphone amplifier and headphones. Kind of disappointing, really, given that any customer can walk in any day of the week and try out pedals. I was hoping for more interaction with designers.

I brought a few pedals to demo for some buddies there, and received favorable feedback. Had a brief chat with the fellow from TC, and was much impressed by the TonePrint software for programming their pedals. I was not aware just how many parameters there are to tinker with, using Tone Print. In some instances, you can almost turn one pedal into another one. I like the idea that controls can be reassigned via Toneprint. Slick. I showed the fellow the customizer app that Roland provides for their Aira modules, and he was pretty impressed too.

Tried the Chase Bliss Brothers pedal, and it did not disappoint. Ridiculous flexibility for a combo boost-overdrive-fuzz in such a small package. Great sounds....and storable presets!

My friend Dino came in from St. Lazare, and brought his Burny Les Paul Custom to try stuff out with. As LP clones go, this one is solid mahogony with no maple cap. Different.

The only thing I tried out besides the Brothers was the Retro-Sonic Phaser, which was very nice sounding. Tim borrowed the Feedback circuit from the Boss PH-1r, and adapted it to what is essentially a Phase 90. Very nice combo.

I actually went for dinner on Thursday with Steve from Empress, Tim from Retro-sonic, Guillaume Fairfield, and Joel Korte from Chase Bliss, nearly all of whom brought someone else from their team. An absolute blast and a great bunch of guys. Guillame old me that, although there would be no Ottawa Guitar Show at the Glebe Community Center this year, there would be a version of the Montreal Guitar Expo in mid-September. I have no idea if it's the same folks who used to run it, but I'm just glad it"s coming back. Hoping to be there.

The day was improved by a quick visit to St. Viateur Bagel Bakery, and a late lunch at Schwartz's.

·
Premium Member
16,961 Posts
Mark, did you get to tinker with the Echo Station? Dan's showed up Friday, so I'm sure half of tuesday's practice will actually just be us messing with it haha.

Also, I may have made a thread for ya...

·
Premium Member
17,436 Posts
Guillame old me that, although there would be no Ottawa Guitar Show at the Glebe Community Center this year, there would be a version of the Montreal Guitar Expo in mid-September. I have no idea if it's the same folks who used to run it, but I'm just glad it"s coming back. Hoping to be there.
I'd like to attend also...if we are visiting in Ottawa at that time.

The 2016 Ottawa Guitar Show at the Glebe Community Centre was excellent.
Of course, the visit last summer was made much, much more eventful and enjoyable for me by being able to spend time with @mhammer and @amagras. Again, gentlemen, I thank you!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I'd like to attend also...if we are visiting in Ottawa at that time.

The 2016 Ottawa Guitar Show at the Glebe Community Centre was excellent.
Of course, the visit last summer was made much, much more eventful and enjoyable for me by being able to spend time with @mhammer and @amagras. Again, gentlemen, I thank you!
Those were nice days with you here Dave, I remember i met mister.zed in that occasion too.

·
Registered
24,515 Posts
We'll all have to pile into the car and go to the Montreal event in September.

Justin, I take it you mean the Empress Echo System? I believe there was one there, but I didn't try it . It's a great pedal, though. The same way the EHX MEL9 makes one want to be in a Genesis cover band, the Echo System makes one want to be in a Bill Frisell tribute duo or trio.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there would be a version of the Montreal Guitar Expo in mid-September. I have no idea if it's the same folks who used to run it, but I'm just glad it"s coming back. Hoping to be there.
Thanks for the report, @mhammer.

There's a Facebook page called The New Montreal Guitar Show. I suppose it could be them. They are not affiliated with the team who used to organize the Montreal show. I exchanged a few messages with them in July last year and they were supposedly planning a show for the fall. They didn't appear to be very serious and, indeed, the show never materialized.

·
Registered
24,515 Posts
Thanks for the report, @mhammer.

There's a Facebook page called The New Montreal Guitar Show. I suppose it could be them. They are not affiliated with the team who used to organize the Montreal show. I exchanged a few messages with them in July last year and they were supposedly planning a show for the fall. They didn't appear to be very serious and, indeed, the show never materialized.
Well, hopefully the seriousness quotient has increased, and a show will materialize this fall. The failure last year could have been due to something unexpected out of everyone's control. It happens.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts