The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to the conclusion that using vintage tube amps to run the wet signal of a WDW rig is unnecessary. I've been looking for an inexpensive power amp to use in my set up that will only power two cabs for 100% wet sounds.

I've seen all the current options and would prefer something cheap, stereo, and preferably 'class d' so it has no fan and is a small size. I discovered this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B011JNVIYI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2LC44S2ULTA3L&psc=1

It fits all the requirements but I do wonder if it will be landfill in two years. That said, it is probably made in the same factory as all the inexpensive stuff and since I won't by using this for gigs (strictly at home) it won't be tossed around, moved, assembled and dissembled; that should help durability.

Has anyone used one of these? I have also found a couple of used Roctron velocity power amps (more money and used) and a nice slightly used Carvin power amp that is much larger, more expensive, but probably of much higher build quality.

Thoughts?

TG

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
With the advent of very light class D amps and powered speakers, I see a lot of cheap old-tech analog amps out here. Big amps for a couple hundred bucks. The biggest downside is the weight and size (often 4 RU or more). If you're not moving it, those don't matter much.

I like those old amps. If they don't hum when you buy them, they should last a long time (filter caps do dry up over time). Too bad you don't live on this side of the country. I have too many power amps and would probably give you one.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the advent of very light class D amps and powered speakers, I see a lot of cheap old-tech analog amps out here. Big amps for a couple hundred bucks. The biggest downside is the weight and size (often 4 RU or more). If you're not moving it, those don't matter much.

I like those old amps. If they don't hum when you buy them, they should last a long time (filter caps do dry up over time). Too bad you don't live on this side of the country. I have too many power amps and would probably give you one.
Funny you should say that because there is a local Marshall 9005 power amp at a decent price. It's 4RUs, heavy, and tube. It's over kill for what I need but still tempting.

The monoprice is the complete opposite and brand new, but I still haven't pulled the trigger yet.

TG

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I'd be tempted to look for a Marshall 8008 power amp. 1 space, 80W/side, not THAT heavy, sounds fine, dang near bulletproof (except for the power switch which will break, use a power bar instead). I have a couple that get used a lot, highly recommended.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts