The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at buying a cheap LP copy, that looks pretty nice, but inlays are a bit lacking.

I've never seen anything about this before online, and wondered... can you modify the inlays?

What I mean is... your typical trapezoid blocks of white, can you cut out a strip in the middle and replace with abalone? or would the existing piece just shatter?

I had an Ibanez Destroyer II... really wish I didn't sell that 20yrs ago, and it had such a nice white/abalone pearl fret inlay. I'd love to match this effect.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
You would have a very hard time doing that..... if you were to try, you would need to remove the frets, then cut out the existing inlays, install new inlays, sand flat then re-fret. I think you would have a really hard time getting everything just right trying it another way. Someone else might have a different idea though.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen vids of people replacing the 6mm dots and sanding with frets on... though, those are much smaller. Just bought some of the 6mm ones actually for a Washburn I'm working on... repainting it Chrylser's "Intense Blue Pearl" then putting on a satin/matte clear finish... figured the blue Abalone dots would look real sharp... which is what started my wondering about this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts