The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got back into vinyl some months ago. I hadn't listened to one since the 80's. I'm enjoying the ritual of sitting down and listening to old classics.

What a sound difference compared to mp3's.

I had kept an old 90's Technics receiver with some Cerwin Vega speakers. I bought a new turntable (Audio-Technica LP120).

The red foam surrounds on the speakers where rotten so I ordered a replacement kit and installed them. Everything went well but the woofers are really flabby and fart out when pushed a little.

I decided to order some news speakers and got some Klipsh RF28's. They sound great but I missed the low end of 12 inch woofers so I replaced the woofers in the Cerwin Vega's with some after market ones and run them in parallel with the Klipsh ones

Holy crap what huge sound :)

So yesterday I dropped by Ikea for a nice storage unit.

The stereo separation is huge as they are about 15" appart.

Here's the before and after pic's

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good stuff! I'm curious but scared to get back into vinyl. I love hi-fidelity but my bank manager doesn't.
Well you can easily find old receivers and speakers on Kijiji. A Descent turntable can be a little more expensive though. Mine costs about 500$.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did two separate purges. Second time around, I sold a nice Oracle turntable and a tube pre-amp and amp setup.

I've dumbed myself down to a Sonos setup now and am not going back :)
I also have a Sonos setup with SUB and Play 1's, it's awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I also have a Sonos setup with SUB and Play 1's, it's awesome.
Its not ultra hi-fi but definitely sounds good and is very convenient. I have a home theatre set-up with he sound bar, sub and a pair of ones. Also have a 5 and 3 in other rooms and my music library on a network drive. Works really well

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
My brother bought me an audio technica lp60 as a gift which I'm loving. I added some powered speakers and done.
Really is nice sitting enjoying music I don't have to fuss with downloading, syncing, and transferring to an iPod to enjoy.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Its not ultra hi-fi but definitely sounds good and is very convenient. I have a home theatre set-up with he sound bar, sub and a pair of ones. Also have a 5 and 3 in other rooms and my music library on a network drive. Works really well
Sonos's are addictive though, I started with two play 1's and now I have the sub, play bar, play 5 and 4 other play 1's lol. My kids love it, they stream music all over the house, including the bathroom lol.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I've still got all my vinyl, a couple turntables and late 70's/early 80's audiophile equipment.....all packed away. Separate Harmon/Kardon Citation pre-amp and power amp, Infinity speakers.......good stuff at the time. None of it has been plugged in since the 80's. Probably all rotten by now. :(

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've still got all my vinyl, a couple turntables and late 70's/early 80's audiophile equipment.....all packed away. Separate Harmon/Kardon Citation pre-amp and power amp, Infinity speakers.......good stuff at the time. None of it has been plugged in since the 80's. Probably all rotten by now. :(
Probably all salvageable though.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I did a major purge a few years ago. Currently down to about 600 albums. Mostly jazz and blues, some classical.
At one point I had two turntables. One in the main system and one in the living room system. Sold one to upgrade my main system DAC and kept the Oracle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sold all my vinyl in university to pay rent years ago. Have now replaced it all and more since starting to collect again 3 years ago. Which reminds I need a new needle.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I did a major purge a few years ago. Currently down to about 600 albums. Mostly jazz and blues, some classical.
At one point I had two turntables. One in the main system and one in the living room system. Sold one to upgrade my main system DAC and kept the Oracle.
I had to google Oracle, omg that looks like some high end stuff! What model do you have?

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
The vinyl records made today are a speciality item made with pride and care. They are way better than the shit that was mass-produced back in the day. Many of my fave albums have been replaced. They are not even that expensive.

My turntable cost $35 and came with about 50 albums. All the Beatles, and I don't know what else. My amp and speakers set me back another twenty bucks. You should spend more than this.

Expensive gear is available for the audiophile. An audiophile is someone who will pay $1500 for silver speaker cables that connect to non-silver components at both ends (imagine: rope/chain/rope). Super costly gear is usually for bragging rights only, and is absolutely unnecessary for enjoying the vinyl experience. Dive in at the level of your choice.

This morning I finished listening to Sufan Stevens Greetings from Michigan (started yesterday), and followed it with both sides of The Doors Waiting for the Sun. The wife is out so now it's gonna be The Beastie Boys Hello Nasty with The Grateful Dead Working Man's Dead playing when she gets home.

All "brand new" vinyl albums.

Singles are especially exciting as you must jump up and down every three minutes or so. Mine are all old and scratchy.

Lack of humility department: If I knew how, I'd post a song I prophetically wrote in 1991:

Old Vinyl! Old Vinyl!
The new stuff just hasn't got the style,
Old Vinyl! That's final!
It's gonna be around for a little while.

Sorry. Couldn't resist boasting about that. Its actually registered in the Library of Congress in DC on a cassette. Lol.

Have fun! My CD's sit idle.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am one of those crazy audiophiles who luckily kept all of his records. I have a Lenco L75 turntable with an 80 lb plinth (base) and a linear tracking air bearing tonearm. The cartridge is a ZYX Universe moving coil and the phono amp is a Jeff Rowland Consummate with an upgraded Threshold T2 preamp. Power amps are either a Bedini BA803 or a pair of Ray Lumley M100 tube mono blocks. Speakers are Acoustat 2+2 with an Axiom ep500 sub. The digital side is covered by a Bryston bdp2 music server and a Calyx Femto dac. I use an Oppo bdp-95 as a transport. There is also a Studer a807 2 track reel to reel. And of course there are the various cables, Consonance power conditioner and upgraded wall receptacles to Furutech gtx-d gold.

Although l bought almost everything used, l still spent over 30k usd. But it took me over 30 years to reach this level of madness.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am one of those crazy audiophiles who luckily kept all of his records. I have a Lenco L75 turntable with an 80 lb plinth (base) and a linear tracking air bearing tonearm. The cartridge is a ZYX Universe moving coil and the phono amp is a Jeff Rowland Consummate with an upgraded Threshold T2 preamp. Power amps are either a Bedini BA803 or a pair of Ray Lumley M100 tube mono blocks. Speakers are Acoustat 2+2 with an Axiom ep500 sub. The digital side is covered by a Bryston bdp2 music server and a Calyx Femto dac. I use an Oppo bdp-95 as a transport. There is also a Studer a807 2 track reel to reel. And of course there are the various cables, Consonance power conditioner and upgraded wall receptacles to Furutech gtx-d gold.

Although l bought almost everything used, l still spent over 30k usd. But it took me over 30 years to reach this level of madness.
Pics or it didn't happen :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts