Votes: 5 27.8%
  • nominate/vote

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,170 Posts
I see the point of mods for issues like spammers and obvious violations on the forum (racism, personal attacks etc.). I just wish in general people would have a thicker skin about what they report though. There's users I definitely don't get along with. But I can block them or not read their posts. I don't think I have ever actually reported a post though unless it was a case of a spammer.

EDIT: I guess the one exception I see is that keeping politics stuff inside the politics forum has been a positive thing for the forum I think.
I would add that anything touching on religion should either be in the political sub forum, in a religion sub forum, or prohibited.

I prefer a bit more active moderation than we currently enjoy here.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
The way it will work is I will create a thread with the requirements we are looking for, the duties involved etc. We will ask for people to submit interest. Then review them and pick one. Kurt has been a mod here since almost day one, so we pretty much know the temperament of a ton of people on here. For me, I am looking for someone just like Kurt. You never hear from him, he rarely gets involved in arguments of any kind. He just does the job behind the scenes. If he needs me he will PM me. When reports come in he and I have access to them and we can post back and forth to each other as to what to do.

The for sale forum does need attention. It takes time and work. I used to spend a few hours at least per month cleaning up old threads and deleting one that others did not. There is no way to automate that so someone has to do it manually.

The rest is easy. You enforce the rules on the books, you don't create your own. Banning is a last resort.
@GuitarsCanada , would it ease the burden to have people who look after a specific forum, but don't have to moderate forum wide? Spread out the work a bit and make the Mod commitment (and their permissions) less? The For Sale forum being the main target. I was a part of a forum once where I moderated one specific sub-forum. It seemed to work well for them.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
we keep an eye out for users who post good content, are reasonable, have thick skin and a sense of humour and are passionate about the subject matter. Then we approach them and see if they're interested.
Aw Shucks.:) Thanks but I'm really not interested.:D

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
So you want someone to give @vadsy a good talking too .. lol.

This place is pretty will behaved for the most part and self moderates better than most.
I can’t believe I outlasted @laristotle and a few of the others. I did get a ton of warnings and a final, ‘one more post and you get banned for a month’ ...certainly showed him

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Car board that I was on years ago was un-moderated except for one guy who took care of the IT stuff on the board; it was a place where people liked you if you fought back. Anyway some people were getting outwitted and they started crying for more moderation - the moderator's response was "I ain't here to babysit you idiots; sort it out between yourselves."

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I can’t believe I outlasted @laristotle and a few of the others. I did get a ton of warnings and a final, ‘one more post and you get banned for a month’ ...certainly showed him
Yeah, notwithstanding the problems that he has you still can't let that stuff slide so I took a run at it thinking if I get the boot too bad; but it was just "thanks for your input" so I didn't get erased. A no win situation for all involved but it's done so that's that.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Gotta be honest. I thought the same thing. Especially when you started jumping into the fire holding a gas can.

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It seems that I chose the right buttons.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Gotta be honest. I thought the same thing. Especially when you started jumping into the fire holding a gas can.
few things here.

-is there any other way to live than dancing with the flame tornado while holding a mix of gas and oil in an open container?
-it was pretty obvious the ensuing mess and inevitable ban was coming, I had no desire to hang out in a forum that could have been if the Nazi won the war
-a banned member emailed me and asked I contribute in my usual modus operandi to feed the flame and fire all around us at the time, the floor was lava and I love to be challenged

I was getting warnings but they were all silly and I felt brave enough to question the guy, that resulted in some conversations where I was myself and didn't play my usual character. They went back and forth but his logic was pretty much out the window so I'd have given myself less that 12 hours if he was still around, probably would have been kicked out after my first morning post. I remember dealing with Allen on sale items I had listed and seeing his contributions to the few, he was a jerk. We live and learn, moving on...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I do enjoy your posts, don't get me wrong. Sometimes people need to hear things straight up. Works for me. Even if it IS me that is getting straightened up.

·
Registered
12,703 Posts
Car board that I was on years ago was un-moderated except for one guy who took care of the IT stuff on the board; it was a place where people liked you if you fought back. Anyway some people were getting outwitted and they started crying for more moderation - the moderator's response was "I ain't here to babysit you idiots; sort it out between yourselves."
I was on a Harley forum a few years back like that, anything goes and people fought verbally....until one day some fought physically.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I was on a Harley forum a few years back like that, anything goes and people fought verbally....until one day some fought physically.
My town's Facebook Q&A page was exactly like that. The best was an argument I saw that ended in a 'meet me in the Walmart parking lot' challenge (that was actually serious). The group is still a goldmine and one of the only reasons I check Facebook in the morning. But no more threats.

I had a huge collection of great screenshots from that group I finally cleaned off my phone. My favourites were a women complaining about planes flying too low, and a women that outed her drug dealer because he ripped her off.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
I got one warning. Then I posted "secrets of being a moderator revealed" and poof I was banned

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
... The best was an argument I saw that ended in a 'meet me in the Walmart parking lot' challenge (that was actually serious)...
I've done that except it was meet me at Sherway Gardens Parking lot - although I've since calmed down a lot from what I was like then; probably cause I got old ... lol.

I'm still friends with a lot of people from those boards though and we meet up at Christmas and such. Great time, great people and one of them is a former Navy Seal who was a complete lunatic.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts