·
Premium Member
7,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discuss?

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Honestly, I would like to leave the decision on who is going to be a Mod or Admin to GC. Although I'm not sure he is up for it but he's the one who started this forum and have been running this with very little issues. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
how about :
ask for volunteers thread ( to get primary list of those that want to help ) ... not a nomination thread
GC vets it down to 3 -4 (viable candidates and so the list isn't 12 pages long)
short voting period ( 1 day / one vote per member)

the short list also becomes the "go to" list for replacements (full, temp) when the need arises.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Apart from cleaning up dead threads in the for sale section does it really need to be moderated; seemed to work ok before. A few people get ass hurt about something now and again but from what I’ve seen they’ve usually walked into themselves. And even then it hardly ever happens.

·
Premium Member
7,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scott (thankfully) just came back to fix the scorched earth disaster that happened.
I don't think he wants to stick around and relying on the other two inactive mods may be difficult.
Keep in mind too, this is a non-paying stint for owners that do nothing but sit back and collect the money from here.

I see an active mod, not for babysitting, but around and about when a glitch pops up that gets reported that needs attention.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
696 Posts
As a former super-mod/admin on other forums, I always like to say that forums, despite being on the internet, are benevolent dictatorships not democracies so my vote goes to recruit. Let the fine folks running the site review those members who are level-headed and good contributors to the site and ask them to join. The vibe gets different as a mod from being just a regular member as we have seen

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
As log time owner and moderator of forums I'd like to say a few things people need to think about before they volunteer, and no I'm not volunteering.

First and foremost it is not an easy job. It takes more time you think it will.
You will piss some people off. You need a thick skin.
You have to work with the other mods. Don't ban someone or delete a thread without running it by the other mods.
It may be that the forum no longer becomes fun. If that happens don't continue moderating. Ask to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
how about :
ask for volunteers thread ( to get primary list of those that want to help ) ... not a nomination thread
GC vets it down to 3 -4 (viable candidates and so the list isn't 12 pages long)
short voting period ( 1 day / one vote per member)

the short list also becomes the "go to" list for replacements (full, temp) when the need arises.
In my experience running a forum for the past 13 years, those who usually volunteer to moderate are often not suited to the task. On that forum, we keep an eye out for users who post good content, are reasonable, have thick skin and a sense of humour and are passionate about the subject matter. Then we approach them and see if they're interested.

·
Registered
696 Posts
In my experience running a forum for the past 13 years, those who usually volunteer to moderate are often not suited to the task. On that forum, we keep an eye out for users who post good content, are reasonable, have thick skin and a sense of humour and are passionate about the subject matter. Then we approach them and see if they're interested.
My experience also has been that people who are really keen to be moderators usually do not make good ones.

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
This makes so much sense to me, but then Scott may not wish to be involved in picking. So then who does the recruiting?

I often oh so frequently over the years thought I would be a decent mod but never stepped forward to inquire. I bet most of you have at one time or another. Now, no chance haha, not interested even if 3 of you would have me.

I do agree that having 1 or 2 active users carefully chosen would be a good idea. As Dave said, us members voting for them is a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
5,027 Posts
I might be off on this, but I thought a mod was being added mainly to help manage the For Sale section. Which does require a bit of work because dead threads or rule violations do need monitored to keep the section tidy. But the mod in this case went right to admin (not GC) and asked to be added as a full on staff/super-mod. For some reason that was granted with no vetting at all. So was there any plan to add another mod that had that type of control?

I see the point of mods for issues like spammers and obvious violations on the forum (racism, personal attacks etc.). I just wish in general people would have a thicker skin about what they report though. There's users I definitely don't get along with. But I can block them or not read their posts. I don't think I have ever actually reported a post though unless it was a case of a spammer.

EDIT: I guess the one exception I see is that keeping politics stuff inside the politics forum has been a positive thing for the forum I think.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I might be off on this, but I thought a mod was being added mainly to help manage the For Sale section. Which does require a bit of work because dead threads or rule violations do need monitored to keep the section tidy. But the mod in this case went right to admin (not GC) and asked to be added as a full on staff/super-mod. For some reason that was granted with no vetting at all. So was there any plan to add another mod that had that type of control?

I see the point of mods for issues like spammers and obvious violations on the forum (racism, personal attacks etc.). I just wish in general people would have a thicker skin about what they report though. There's users I definitely don't get along with. But I can block them or not read their posts. I don't think I have ever actually reported a post though unless it was a case of a spammer.

EDIT: I guess the one exception I see is that keeping politics stuff inside the politics forum has been a positive thing for the forum I think.
There are probably things that happen behind the scenes that the regular users don't see. Reports come in, threads get deleted/moved etc. Users have account issues. You need active mods for that sort of thing. And yes, to fairly enforce the admittedly very easy rules this site does have.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
This makes so much sense to me, but then Scott may not wish to be involved in picking. So then who does the recruiting?

I often oh so frequently over the years thought I would be a decent mod but never stepped forward to inquire. I bet most of you have at one time or another. Now, no chance haha, not interested even if 3 of you would have me.

I do agree that having 1 or 2 active users carefully chosen would be a good idea. As Dave said, us members voting for them is a bad idea.
The way it will work is I will create a thread with the requirements we are looking for, the duties involved etc. We will ask for people to submit interest. Then review them and pick one. Kurt has been a mod here since almost day one, so we pretty much know the temperament of a ton of people on here. For me, I am looking for someone just like Kurt. You never hear from him, he rarely gets involved in arguments of any kind. He just does the job behind the scenes. If he needs me he will PM me. When reports come in he and I have access to them and we can post back and forth to each other as to what to do.

The for sale forum does need attention. It takes time and work. I used to spend a few hours at least per month cleaning up old threads and deleting one that others did not. There is no way to automate that so someone has to do it manually.

The rest is easy. You enforce the rules on the books, you don't create your own. Banning is a last resort.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts