The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sad. no new post in the bass forum for over a week?

Not very exciting, but I might as well get a post in here or people will forget about the low end.

Decided to mod the p-bass again. Put a white pearloid pick gaurd on it. Dropped in another pickup just to try out, and tried out bridge #3. The new bridge is very similar to a standard Fender bridge, but a lot heavier. Also, decided to get rid of the pots again. Wired the pickups straight to the jack with a mini-toggle in between so I can mute the signal.

Also, got both the 15" cabinets working that I picked up last week. I'm looking forward to band practice this week. :banana:

·
Registered
885 Posts
This is sad. no new post in the bass forum for over a week?

Not very exciting, but I might as well get a post in here or people will forget about the low end.
:banana:

The low end is never forgotten. I've actually been knee deep into a particular tune, so not too much in the way forum visiting...which probably, is how it should be. For the first time in a while, I'm having more difficulty picking up the bass lines, as opposed to the chord changes.

If anyone is interested in checking this tune out, it's called Kindred Spirits
by Danny Gatton/Joey De Francesco. You can download it from www.mediamax.com/fajah . Some thoughts and pointers on the bass lines would be appreciated.

Sorry it's not a mod post :)

Lawrie

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hear you guys..little quiet here..

Tried out a few "P" basses over the last little while and I find the difference between them was noticable in tone and feel.

Some guitars and basses are just made for modding, have fun with it.

Bev

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm going to contribute to The Low End this week, although in the context of this thread, my effort will be about a restoration.
I landed a Telecaster Bass from the 70's, natural finish. It's currently in transit, should get it next week. A previous owner installed a Badass bridge and removed the string ferrules from the back of the body.
I've already ordered a period-correct 2 barrel bridge, ferrules and the bridge cover which I may or may not install.
The 2 barrel bridge is what's on my Sting bass and there's no intonation issues. The new one is a Wilkinson which has 'tilt', a feature similar to Vin-Tone barrels available for 6 string Teles.
This has satisfied GAS attacks and hit the wallet pretty hard. I intend to gig with this. Although the big humbucker is muddier than the single coil Tele Basses, research has convinced me it's nowhere near as awful as the Gibson EB buckers (which I've had on 2 Gibs in the past).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here she is. I like it. Not sure if I'll leave the pup or switch back to the Kent Armstrong or not. I like the look of the pick gaurd and the new bridge though, and going back without volume or tone. A simple, to the point, rock'n'roll bass!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts