The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking to do a custom MJT build with a Musikraft neck. I was just wondering how other people's experience was working with them and what the costs and duties/import fees were like and if there were any luthiers in southern Ontario that you used to put it together or setup. Trying to see if it's really worth it. I see that there are a few threads here but just looking for more details/opinions.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I have an MJT hollow swamp ash body with a custom neck, its a stellar guitar. I found MJT very helpful and responsive. The body was about $450 with duty and tax.

I had him do a "closet classic" style relic, with a darker 2 colour burst. He did it quite dark and smoky at my request. The burst was perfection. Initially I didn't love the relic, it looked quite artificial, but the guy clearly knows his stuff, after a month or so it started to check perfectly. It looks amazing now (I will post a pic)

It is super light (about 2.5LBS for the body). You can't really tell that it is hollow aside from the sound when you tap on it.

Great guitar, great service. Not cheap, but the quality is there

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Although ZD said there was duty, there is no duty. There is shipping, tax and also brokerage fees depending on the shipper. You can have it shipped to a border point and go and pick it up to save some of the shipping and brokerage fees if that is convenient for you.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Although ZD said there was duty, there is no duty. There is shipping, tax and also brokerage fees depending on the shipper. You can have it shipped to a border point and go and pick it up to save some of the shipping and brokerage fees if that is convenient for you.
You are correct. No duty, just HST and brokerage fees.

·
Registered
81 Posts
@Shredneck has a Tele that I believe was made by MJT. It's a fantastic ax and I think he gets a lot of use out of it.

W.
Yeah I love my mjt tele! I also used a musikraft neck with mine. I’m really happy with how it turned out. I’m using it on tour with Clay Walker right now and it’s holding up great! It’s nice to spec a guitar to exactly your dimensions. I made sure that mjt used a light ash body. The tele itself is under 7lb. I’d buy another mjt hands down. It was a little pricey though having it shipped into Canada.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
You are correct. No duty, just HST and brokerage fees.
Out of curiosity, do you remember how much they charged you for brokerage?

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,252 Posts
@mingo has an old MJT strat if mine... great guitar!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I bought a vintage white strat body from them on their ebay auction site where they have several bodies. Their auctions all list UPS as the default shipper. I asked and had them ship USPS (it was around 50 bucks US). I paid 8 dollars (Canadian) brokerage and the HST on the declared value...

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
No, I don't remember. I think the body was about 350$cad (an eBay auction one) so I would guess that both the HST and brokerage were less than
$100.
Yes, that sounds about right. I'm glad I live close to the border so I don't get stuck with those charges.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I had them refinish my Johnny Marr jag and ended up buying a body from them on eBay. They sent everything USPS and should be here within a few days if not today, so I’ll let you know if I have to pay and special fees.

Not sure I’ll have to on the jaguar since I sent it to them to have “service” done. They also asked me if I wanted it sent back USPS or UPS. USPS usually costs a bit more and takes longer but usually shows up at my doorstep, I hope so in this case anyway.

MJT was really easy to deal with regardless and within a few hours of sending a email I had a reply back. I’ll definitely be ordering more bodies from them. Also if your patient and want a body cheaper, wait until an auction is almost done. Bid like crazy. I picked up a strat body for $206 CAD.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
I had them refinish my Johnny Marr jag and ended up buying a body from them on eBay. They sent everything USPS and should be here within a few days if not today, so I’ll let you know if I have to pay and special fees.

Not sure I’ll have to on the jaguar since I sent it to them to have “service” done. They also asked me if I wanted it sent back USPS or UPS. USPS usually costs a bit more and takes longer but usually shows up at my doorstep, I hope so in this case anyway.

MJT was really easy to deal with regardless and within a few hours of sending a email I had a reply back. I’ll definitely be ordering more bodies from them. Also if your patient and want a body cheaper, wait until an auction is almost done. Bid like crazy. I picked up a strat body for $206 CAD.
USPS is always the best way if you are shipping from the USA to Canada. In the last two years, I had to pay brokerage and HST on one shipment of many and that was a lot less than if it was shipped via UPS or FedEx.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Yup, I can’t remember the last time out a many items that I’ve had to pay any fees. If there’s something on eBay that has a brokerage fee I just look from another item.

I’ll let the OP know for sure if there’s a fee involved on my items coming from MJT when they get here. I sure hope there’s no fee.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Funny enough I just am in the process of ordering a semihollow tele body from them :D I’ll let you all know how it goes!

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
I'm surprised they don't use the ebay Global Shipping program. I'm not a big fan because shipping takes longer, but no surprise fees at the door

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome thanks for all the responses! They've got a great reputation. Just trying to figure out what specs I really want now.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
So to confirm about duty fees, I didn’t have to pay any additional fees. I had my body refinished and bought a body from them through eBay. They shipped everything in one box and asked if I wanted it sent out UPS or USPS. USPS takes longer but there usually is never any additional fees other than just the shipping charge.

So your getting something from them ask for USPS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks so much JonnyD. I actually just put in an order for one! Can't wait.

Please post some photos if possible as this thread is lacking!

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Nice, I’ll post some pics up of the refinish and the strat body later tonight. I didn’t open it up yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts