The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is somewhat tangential to my coffee shop (CS) amp question. Something that came up in my research was using a mixer to a powered speaker for voice and guitar for a CS set up. Tones of flexibility and can add more voice/instruments as needed. I'm leaning that direction.

I also need a way to record at home on my PC and need an interface. The ZED i8 and i10 have 2x2 and 4x4 interfaces respectively. Would those work well as a computer voice/instrument interface with Reaper? These are only slightly more expensive than things like the Focusrite.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
4x4 is great if it's just you recording or you and 1 other. When I was looking to do the same what bothered me was a multi channel board often sums to a stereo L and R.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh, so you could only send two tracks at a time to the computer. Not a deal breaker, but I get what you mean. I guess the flip of the question is can a computer interface act as a pre-amp for the powered speaker to play a guitar and send voice through? I'm guessing yes, but without any effects (not a problem for the guitar).

So much to learn.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
So yeah those mixers are designed to double as audio interfaces (the idea is such small mixers are usually for practise spaces, and you may want to rec yer jam). the 4x4 one is 4 tracks in and out the other one is just stereo.

Ahhh, so you could only send two tracks at a time to the computer. Not a deal breaker, but I get what you mean. I guess the flip of the question is can a computer interface act as a pre-amp for the powered speaker to play a guitar and send voice through? I'm guessing yes, but without any effects (not a problem for the guitar).

So much to learn.
It depends on the interface. Yes only if it has both a hiZ instrument input (rather common) as well as pro line level (TRS or XLR) outputs (almost guarenteed - it's where you'd hook up powered studio monitors).

Some interfaces might require to be connected to a comp so that you can use the virtual mixer software to route the inst. input direct to the line outs. Others may do this stand alone by default - the manuals will say.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Depends on the mixer, too. The Yamaha TF1 is a 16x16 USB interface, and with a $400 card a 16x16 Dante interface as well.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Remeber with mixers that only have stereo subs often have a effects or aux send that will have a fx or aux out that can be used as a sub. You can also split the stereo out to two subs and control that by panning the channels hard left or right. So even say a 4x2 mixer can have 3 sub groups and is how I've gotten away with a cheap mixer for small shows and monitor mixes.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
I'm an example of someone who needs IT support for this stuff.

I have a QSC TM30 PRO 32 channel digital mixer, an iMAC, the Sony App for recording and enough mics and peripheral gear to choke a horse, but when it comes to using computer based recording software I struggle.

I'm fine when we get down to audio. It's the computer interface that confounds me. Maybe I need to go back to tape (or hire a geek squad type of guy).

P

·
0 Posts
I'm an example of someone who needs IT support for this stuff.

I have a QSC TM30 PRO 32 channel digital mixer, an iMAC, the Sony App for recording and enough mics and peripheral gear to choke a horse, but when it comes to using computer based recording software I struggle.

I'm fine when we get down to audio. It's the computer interface that confounds me. Maybe I need to go back to tape (or hire a geek squad type of guy).
What don't you understand about computer interfacing?

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
What don't you understand about computer interfacing?
Oh I can get everything speaking to each other. I may not have described my gap clearly. Anytime I have tried to record with a DAW or similar computer based software, there always seems to be steps the instructions leave out (assumed knowledge). I have never been able to make a successful track.

I may look for a course to bridge the gap between my lack of computer skills and the audio experience I have.

P

·
0 Posts
Oh I can get everything speaking to each other. I may not have described my gap clearly. Anytime I have tried to record with a DAW or similar computer based software, there always seems to be steps the instructions leave out (assumed knowledge). I have never been able to make a successful track.

I may look for a course to bridge the gap between my lack of computer skills and the audio experience I have.
What interface and DAW are you using? I had troubles until I got Studio One Pro. It really makes it easy to get up and running.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
I'm using a QSC TM30 Pro now. It's my live mixer. The computer is an iMac.

I'll have to check the app but it's the $300 Sony recording app.

I need someone to spoon feed me to get me started.

I'd be willing to pay.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
IMG_2639.JPG
What interface and DAW are you using? I had troubles until I got Studio One Pro. It really makes it easy to get up and running.
The App is Apple Pro Logic X. The problem is me, not what I'm using. I just need some training to bridge the gap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts