The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Well, I'm hoping this is the last coat of Nitro on this one. I'm working on the peghead. I had some weird bubling on it, but after repeated wet sands and recoats, I've decided to apply a waterslide decal and give it one more coat of Nitro.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
The Stratelli has been a battle but it is now starting to feel and sound the way I envisioned.

It's sort of a good news / bad news thng.

The nitro on this one gave me lots of problems. It seemed to react with some portions of the painted surface and I did a shit load of sanding. Ultimately I have it to where I can use it as a prototype / demo, but I learned some things about nitro in the process.

The neck, is a wall hanger. It's not a good neck and that's a shame because Amanda also painted the headstock to match. There's a back bow that can't be relieved with the truss rod and a hump around the fifth fret. It's actually the first neck I've ever had to discard completely. I removed it this mornng and replaced it with a Mighty Mite I had already and that made all the difference in the world.

The bridge....I went with a Gotoh 3 saddle with compensated saddles and cut down sides. Love the saddles, not crazy about the cut down sides. I took apart a Wilkinson and put the Gotoh saddles on that, re-installed the bridge pickup and the bridge, action and intonation and new strings (again). Now it's a typical ashtray style tele bridge with three good compensated saddles. Much better.

The pickups, were fine from the get go (Vineham Texas Specials) but I was too distracted by the shitty neck to really spend much time with them. After about fifteen minutes of playing with the new neck, this is an excellent sounding Tele set.

It's a bit hotter than a normal Tele set, but not so much as to take away the twang. They're nice and clean.

I used a 0.022 uf cap for tone and it works beautifully.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
In an interesting twist, I found and purchased a Hipshot B bender (with drop D lever) from @VHTO.

I should be able to adapt it to the Strat shape.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok, the next timne we have a thread complaining about slow deliveries from Canada Post, expect me to trot this one out for everybody's enjoyment.

Yesterday afternoon, I posted a bit of a Hail Mary thread in the guitar parts buy and sell section. It was a WTB Hipshot B bender.

@VHTO had one he was willing to sell.

20 hrs ago he put it in a box and gave me tracking.

It arrived here a few minutes ago.

I mean, Holy Snapping Arseholes, that's fast.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Twang Twang-adiddle dang a diddle danga twanga twanga twang twanga diddle dang
Another dang twang another dang twang another dang twang...

This thing was stupid easy to install. I just had to change the b string to run over the bridge instead of through it.

Drop D? Check

B up to C#? Yup.

Holy Steel guitar licks Batman!

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I'm by no means condoning the use of LSD, but people who have tried it may have seen images not so disimilar to the guitar posted above.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I've been eagerly awaiting this one since I came up with the idea. I've always loved the body shape of Jaguars and Jazzmasters, but the rest of the design is just not my bag. I'm not knocking them, but Jazzmaster electronics and general layout, bridge et cetera are just not suitable for my style of play.

So, this is a mash up of a super strat and a Jazzmaster. Pickups will be H-S-S (all Vineham) and the bridge will be a VegaTrem. Hardware and bridge are gold.

Neck will be a mighty Mite ebony on maple.

Here's the back

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Wet sanding this morning to level things a bit.

I should be able to finish spraying today, and then she hangs for a few days (a week if I'm able to wait).

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Enough with the rattle cans.

I ordered one of these. I chose the gravity feed version, with a slightly smaller reservoir.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts