The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Did a little scraping this morning to take off some bumps and lumps. Also opened up the neck through holes, potentiometer holes, masked the neck pocket and installed my hang stick. I'll remove the components and hang it for another day, then....Nitro.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This is the difference between one particular component sourced on Amazon from a Chinese supplier and one sourced from a domestic supplier.

Both will fit dimensionally, but one is aluminum and sort of a matte finish. The other is steel with a nice chrome plating and about 30% thicker.

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Nice to see that she painted the control cover too.

Reactions: Milkman

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice to see that she painted the control cover too.
Yes, I like that, thanks.

It's a fairly rapid evolution and I can thank Nathan at Nieman guitars for a good portion of that. When something works or I become aware of an area for improvement, Nathan responds quickly and we adopt that change together.

Accordingly all the new ones have rear mounted controls, flush mounted control and trem covers, edge mounted output jacks. That's the list so far.

Painted headstocks are a matter of choice.

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
flush mounted control and trem covers
Don't know how small they come, but a spring magnetic catch would eliminate the screws.
Would have to glue the metal strip on instead of screw to the control plate.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Crap. Anybody else wish "Fender" would standardize parts for Telecasters and Stratocasters a bit more effectively?

I got tired of buying Tele ferrules (back loaders) six at a time so I ordered 30 on Amazon.

Fuckers are only 6.5mm od. They fall right out of a normal Fender hole.

String spacing, body thickness....that shit wasn't broke and didn't need to be fixed.

Is it deliberate or are they really that dumb?

Yeah, I know, I know, I'm the dummy for not confirming. I will from now on, assume these bozos are all applying their own dimensional GD and T.

Meh, rant over.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,259 Posts
What's the difference in OD size between the two ferrules? Maybe a 2-for-one size could cover both: thin bushing over the small ferrule to enlarge the diameter to fit the larger holes.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What's the difference in OD size between the two ferrules? Maybe a 2-for-one size could cover both: thin bushing over the small ferrule to enlarge the diameter to fit the larger holes.
Nah I'm inclined to just not use these. I'll suck it up and learn from the mistake. No bandaids. It's only a few bucks really.

I ordered six proper 5/16" OD ferrules. I'll have them on Saturday.

Again though, the local L & M had none. Don't get me wrong. They're friendly as all get out and always willing to order stuff for me, but a Tele is like a Model T. If I'm the local "guitar shop" I'd like to think I would have all components for a basic Tele and a basic Strat on the shelf, other than necks and bodies. Those, I would expect to order as requested.

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
tape the ferrule to fit snug in the hole?

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
tape the ferrule to fit snug in the hole?
I can think of a dozen ways to make it work, but I don't like asterisks and this guitar will in all likelihood end up in someone else's hands.

It's under $20 for all 30. The cost of putting these on a shelf is not the problem.

I just wanted to press them in before shooting nitro.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
All I would have to do is to ask Nathan to drill the next five hardtails and/or Teles with the diameter for these ferrules.

But something about that bugs me too. If for some reason someone someday has to replace one ferrule, and he or she has a standard one or can GET a standard one....it won't match the others.

Yeah I know, I'm nuts.

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Yeah I know, I'm nuts.
Your over thinking it to cover all possible bases. Which is fine. I do that too.
All I would have to do is to ask Nathah to drill the next five hardtails and/or Teles with the diameter for these ferrules.
Good choice.
If for some reason someone someday has to replace one ferrule, and he or she has a standard one or can GET a standard one....it won't match the others.
When printing out the specs for each guitar, include the ferrule dimensions?

Reactions: Milkman

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The correct ferrules arrived yesterday. It didn't impact my build plan as I'm still applying nitro to the body.

I also received these cute knobs. I popped them onto some Bourn pots for fun.I haven't decided which build to use them on. I like having options.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts