The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I look at the local classifieds for guitars . I often read stuff like “Gibson lesPaul for sale “ but when I open the add it’s just an epiphone not a gibson . Or “fender telecaster and amp for sale” and it’s a squier . But no mater how much you try you can’t get threw their thick skulls that an “epiphone “ is not a gibson and a “squier “ is not a fender . That’s like calling a Chevy suburban a Cadillac . Both are made by gm but a Chevy is not a Cadillac . Or better “if i had a gmc jimmy “ I wouldn’t post “for sale chevy blazer” because it’s not a blazer .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Quite same overhere : Cheap copies under great brand names to push the offer.
Anyway, inquieries through net browsers shed the right light.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
You can report the ad to Kijiji and they will eventually get around to informing them to change it. Do we have time for all of that?

I'm sure the odd time, people just don't know any better but they would be in the minority.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can report the ad to Kijiji and they will eventually get around to informing them to change it. Do we have time for all of that?

I'm sure the odd time, people just don't know any better but they would be in the minority.
I’ve never thought of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
That actually drives me nuts.. I've given up looking for a deal on a MIM strat for a while for that exact reason.. I just got tired of wasting my time clicking squier or other clone ads that were labeled fender, but actually weren't.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Some of them don't know any better, some like to think that their Squier is a Fender, and others are just trying to suck you in. I don't get those in the last group - do they really think the person looking for a MIA Standard is going to click on the ad for their Squier and buy it instead?

Even worse are those assholes who list every brand of gear known to man in their ad/tags so that their ad comes up no matter what you are searching for.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I once owned a squier telecaster back in the early 80's. I remember it not being a bad guitar. But I always thought Fender made the squier. So if its not a Fender, who makes it?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Even worse are those assholes who list every brand of gear known to man in their ad/tags so that their ad comes up no matter what you are searching for.
Yeah I hate that to. I don't know why they think thats going to get their gear sold faster. Do they think someone is going to say "Oh I never thought of that, I think I'll buy it"?
I also don't like the ads that remain at the top of every page. I know you pay extra for that feature to get more exposure, but if I wasn't interested in it the first time I saw it I'm not going to be interested in it the next 20 times it pops up at the top of the page.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
[QUOTE="guitarman2, post: 1839657, member: 944"
I also don't like the ads that remain at the top of every page. I know you pay extra for that feature to get more exposure, but if I wasn't interested in it the first time I saw it I'm not going to be interested in it the next 20 times it pops up at the top of the page.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. There are also a few ads from music stores that have several ads that keep popping up as you go through the ads looking for things. I get so tired of seeing their ads. I wish there was a way of blocking them.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I also don't like the ads that remain at the top of every page. I know you pay extra for that feature to get more exposure, but if I wasn't interested in it the first time I saw it I'm not going to be interested in it the next 20 times it pops up at the top of the page.
I feel the same way. There are also a few ads from music stores that have several ads that keep popping up as you go through the ads looking for things. I get so tired of seeing their ads. I wish there was a way of blocking them.
Yeah, that is annoying. I sometimes report them as spam

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Fender makes Squier, but that doesn't make them Fenders any more than Gibson owning Epiphone would make Epis Gibsons.
We could probably split hairs all day but if Fender makes the Squiers then technically they're fenders. Unless there is a third party company that makes them for Fender I'd think they are Fenders. If its just because they're built over seas then we'd have to eliminate any other Fender guitars being made over seas or in Mexico. Then I guess only Fenders from the American standard and up would be considered true Fenders.
Now if you have a Tokai lawsuit Tele\Strat that you are calling a Fender then yes that would be a mis label
But if you're simply not considering a squier a Fender simply because of its low quality build then you couldn't fault anyone else if they didn't consider a mexican made tele or strat "Not a Fender".
I don't really have any skin in the game one way or the other as I don't own a Squier that I'm defensive about. Either Fender makes it or they don't. If they do its a Fender.
Epiphone\Gibson I have no idea but same idea as above.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
So who makes Squier?
It's the Epiphone of the Fender line. Just like GM makes Buick and Toyota makes Lexus. They are still Gm and Toyota products produced under different names.

Reactions: colchar
1 - 20 of 35 Posts