The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was poking around in the back of my amp and I noticed that one of the tubes is different than the rest.
Is this a concern? The amp sounds great to me, but concerned that it may affect longevity/performance somehow. The new one is a Slovak 6L6 instead of the 5881's it was supposed to come with (though they could all be 6L6's...I cant read the other 3 without mucking about and removing them, though I can see that they are "Ruby something".

The amp is a Traynor YCS90

·
Registered
210 Posts
Had a similarly mismatched amp in recently where there was an old Groove Tube 6L6 paired with a newer Sovtek 5881/6L6. The Groove Tube red-plated (the grey plate in the middle of the bottle glowing like embers in a fire), when I turned the amp on. The problem went away once a new matched set of tubes were subbed in.

The problem with mismatching is sometimes one of the tubes will die quicker than the other -- and it makes it harder to bias (set the voltage level) when both tubes have different optimal voltages.

I would replace both your tubes at the first sign of trouble.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
What do your ears think? Imbalance can create hum, that is a downside. On the other hand, some builders use different tube types to make up their pairs, for example an EL34 with a 6L6.
No big worry as far as damaging the amp.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What do your ears think? Imbalance can create hum, that is a downside. On the other hand, some builders use different tube types to make up their pairs, for example an EL34 with a 6L6.
No big worry as far as damaging the amp.
I don't really hear any offending hum with humbuckers. There is some noise with single coils but nothing that sounds unnatural

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I can guarantee you one thing, in the golden era of tube amps, there were no manufacturers using matched tubes in guitar amps. :D
I know this is different as it is a different sub-type/brand, but it's a point that is often overlooked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts