The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a trend of people putting two different speakers in one cabinet in order to get a certain tone that they are after. Obviously this must work well as there are allot of people doing it.

The issue I have with it is which one do you mic when you play live? I'm sure allot of people with say both, but in reality unless you have your own PA or a technical rider you might be lucky enough to get two mics 75% of the time, and even in those cases I would bet that one mic is either off or favored heavily over the other.

I can see the point with a stereo rig using a single cabinet, but with a mono cabinet I can't see any advantage to it if you are playing live, unless you figure one speaker sounds better miced.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Well, why doesn't everyone gig with a 1x12" combo since you're only going to mic one speaker live? Of course it's because many players prefer the bigger, more complex sound of two, four or more cones on stage. Selective mis-matching can sometimes make the whole cabinet sound even better. Even though the back of the house will only hear the one mic on the one cone thru the PA. Just pick the best overall to stick the mic on.

·
Premium Member
16,825 Posts
i'd probably try one song mic'd one side, one song mic'd the other and see which one a friend in audience thinks is best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts