The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painting a guitar later this month, just a Frankenstein type deal. Wanted to use the Minwax Clear Spray Lacquer because a nitro and never used it before, and I swear it was around here last year, now I can't find it.

Home Hardware doesn't list it, neither does Canadian Tire or Lowes, and Home Depot I don't think carries anything from Minwax because when I search "Minwax" it just says "0 results".

Anyone know where here in Ontario sells it in a spray can? I can find Watco, but no idea what's in it.

Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer Finish & Aerosol Lacquer | Minwax

·
Premium Member
All the usual suspects...
207 Posts
Painting a guitar later this month, just a Frankenstein type deal. Wanted to use the Minwax Clear Spray Lacquer because a nitro and never used it before, and I swear it was around here last year, now I can't find it.

Home Hardware doesn't list it, neither does Canadian Tire or Lowes, and Home Depot I don't think carries anything from Minwax because when I search "Minwax" it just says "0 results".

Anyone know where here in Ontario sells it in a spray can? I can find Watco, but no idea what's in it.

Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer Finish & Aerosol Lacquer | Minwax
RoNa carries Minwax if there's any near you. Maybe they could order this for you.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I've used Watco spray lacquer with success on headstock and such, both satin and gloss. No previous paint experience and no spray booth. Happy camper.

I usually turn spray jobs to a friend who's the boss on finishes, but for such small jobs that's what I'll be doing, use Watco rattle cans.

Try to google "Mohawk lacquer". We have distributors in Québec so you might luck out in Ontario too.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I've used Watco spray lacquer with success on headstock and such, both satin and gloss. No previous paint experience and no spray booth. Happy camper.

I usually turn spray jobs to a friend who's the boss on finishes, but for such small jobs that's what I'll be doing, use Watco rattle cans.

Try to google "Mohawk lacquer". We have distributors in Québec so you might luck out in Ontario too.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse
The main distributor for Mohawk is Richelieu, which requires an account to purchase

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the WATCO nitro? I find the websites for paints are really bad for info... Rustoleum and Krylon for example, never see to say if acrylic, poly, etc... gotta really research to find out. :D

RONA maybe... we have one here. They have the poly spray not the lacquer. Maybe I'll see if they or Home Hardware can special order it in.

Mohawk, just looking now... I see they have instrument lacquer, bucket though not rattlecan. I have a 27gal air compressor, and been looking for a reason to buy a set of paint sprayers. Maybe this is my reason. :D

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
The main distributor for Mohawk is Richelieu, which requires an account to purchase
They also can be found in some stores, which I do believe to be related to Richelieu, though. Distribution 20/20 and Québec Laque has the stuff and you can walk in and buy anything without an account.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
As I said, I'm no expert on paints, but I have read elsewhere that today's "nitro" lacquers have little in common with those of the past for a lot of good reasons related to health and the environment in general. Get an expert's advice on this.

What I can tell you is that today's lacquers will not crack as easily using the scorching hot/freezing cold/scorching hot routine. In fact, I've badly failed at this. ;-)

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Behlen nitro is available in Canada in rattle cans in satin or gloss. Wood essence and or artdec sell it.

Reactions: Smylight

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My try Behlen then... Was hoping to pick up stuff vs ordering online but doesn't look like I can if I want to try nitro. I called Rona and Home Hardware and both said the same thing, they looked at the product list for Minwax and doesn't even list it at all. Must be USA only.

·
Administrator
424 Posts
As I posted earlier, and to expand, you can't get the Minwax here. I had to get it in the US. I did get Mohawk at Richelieu in Ottawa. No account, I talked them into it because I am a tech teacher at a local high school.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
I was in Home Depot a couple of days ago wanting to match some stain for a project. There was no Minwax products to be seen. I inquired about why and the girl in the paint dept told me Minwax had been sold. I think she said Lowes but you can check that out.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
At risk of derailing this thread: a luthier told me very very few shops are "approved" for applying guitar finishes (lacquer incl I assume). They said most luthiers send them to the Vancouver Guitar Finishing company for final spraying. So why is it anyone can go out and buy lacquer to spray their guitar. Am I confusing two (or more) different products?

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
At risk of derailing this thread: a luthier told me very very few shops are "approved" for applying guitar finishes (lacquer incl I assume). They said most luthiers send them to the Vancouver Guitar Finishing company for final spraying. So why is it anyone can go out and buy lacquer to spray their guitar. Am I confusing two (or more) different products?
I'd like to know what "approved" means. I know of 5 local guys that spray in their shops all the time. I can buy nitrocellulose lacquer locally and have sprayed a few guitars in my garage shop. You can buy aerosol paint cans, and lacquer for paint guns, at Home Depot, Lowes, and Lee Valley let alone all the paint suppliers.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I'd like to know what "approved" means. I know of 5 local guys that spray in their shops all the time. I can buy nitrocellulose lacquer locally and have sprayed a few guitars in my garage shop. You can buy aerosol paint cans, and lacquer for paint guns, at Home Depot, Lowes, and Lee Valley let alone all the paint suppliers.

Cheers Peter.
Perhaps I should have wrote "certified". Regardless, I'll ask next time I see that luthier. Thanks Peter!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Perhaps I should have wrote "certified". Regardless, I'll ask next time I see that luthier. Thanks Peter!
Yeah, do ask. I have never heard of someone that is approved or certified to spray finishes. I'm relatively new to guitar building though but as I have said I know more than a few shops that do it locally. I was considering putting a paint booth in my garage shop addition in the spring. I've been calling around about pre-fab spray paint booth and there does seem to be a consensus about strict regulations regarding venting and explosion issues. I believe these may be more related to large industrial operations and wouldn't necessarily apply to hobby or small business that spray once in a while.

Cheers Peter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts