The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i want your opinion about sub 700 cad$ mini head. My research lead me to a couple of mini head. There is the Peavey 6505MH, the Orange OR15 wich i think is pretty limit on the price, the orange Tiny Terror and the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18. Lets say they are all plugged in their respective brand cab and the size is 2x12. What is the strenght and weakness of each and for what type of music they are better for. If you know any more sub 700$ mini head, let me know. Ps, i do not plan to buy one anytime soon

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
Traynor has the Dark Horse and the Iron Horse.

Reactions: Rabbit

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
hi, i want your opinion about sub 700 cad$ mini head. My research lead me to a couple of mini head. There is the Peavey 6505MH, the Orange OR15 wich i think is pretty limit on the price, the orange Tiny Terror and the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18. Lets say they are all plugged in their respective brand cab and the size is 2x12. What is the strenght and weakness of each and for what type of music they are better for. If you know any more sub 700$ mini head, let me know. Ps, i do not plan to buy one anytime soon
What do you want/need it to do for you? Are you seeking something small to gig with? Something to play in your bedroom late at night? Something that can be pushed hard into saturation without bringing the police over?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you want/need it to do for you? Are you seeking something small to gig with? Something to play in your bedroom late at night? Something that can be pushed hard into saturation without bringing the police over?
Well actually all of the above but what interest me is that if there is other model of mini tube amp head and what they are good at and what they are bad at. Like if one has better clean, the other have the meanest metal tone.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Vox NightTrain. I A/B'd a Ver.1 NT against the Orange TT and thought it was much better. Way more range with a full tone stack and the thick switch. Made the TT look a bit 'one trick pony', but if you like the Orange sound, you may like it more.

But a significant step up from any of those - and any other 2 X EL84 amp I've tried - is the Mesa TA15. Killer mini head with 2 footswitchable channels and 5 very usable voices. It does Vox better than the NT does and it also does tweed and Marshall and Mesa high-gain. And it is far more giggable than any of the other 2 X EL84 amps I've ever tried. It's 25 watt setting is remarkable and can hang with a drummer through a 112 cab. It can also be run at 15 watts or 5 watts single-ended per channel. Unfortunately, they aren't in production anymore. But when they were, they were out of your price range. You may find a used one in the $700 range, especially if you're not in a hurry.

Reactions: MkWolfire

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Vox NightTrain. I A/B'd a Ver.1 NT against the Orange TT and thought it was much better. Way more range with a full tone stack and the thick switch. Made the TT look a bit 'one trick pony', but if you like the Orange sound, you may like it more.

But a significant step up from any of those - and any other 2 X EL84 amp I've tried - is the Mesa TA15. Killer mini head with 2 footswitchable channels and 5 very usable voices. It does Vox better than the NT does and it also does tweed and Marshall and Mesa high-gain. And it is far more giggable than any of the other 2 X EL84 amps I've ever tried. It's 25 watt setting is remarkable and can hang with a drummer through a 112 cab. It can also be run at 15 watts or 5 watts single-ended per channel. Unfortunately, they aren't in production anymore. But when they were, they were out of your price range. You may find a used one in the $700 range, especially if you're not in a hurry.
I had some fun demoing a little Vox head through a matching 2x8 2pc stack. Can't remember if it was a Night Train or AC4. Sounded great.

Ive also had some fun playing with an AC4 combo one day. Cranked it on the 1/4 watt setting and got on some greasy crunch tones.

Lately I've been tempted to build a micro 4x8 Bassman project.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Lately I've been tempted to build a micro 4x8 Bassman project.
A 4X8 is an interest of mine too. I believe the sound of a 4 speaker cab is more to do with the driver arrangement than the size of the drivers. And I think a 4X8 would get you pretty close to a 410 or 412 with a lot less weight. But the selection of 8" guitar speakers is limited and still heavier than I want to carry anymore. I'm good with a 112 90% of the time. But if you build one, I will be an observer on the sidelines.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
A 4X8 is an interest of mine too. I believe the sound of a 4 speaker cab is more to do with the driver arrangement than the size of the drivers. And I think a 4X8 would get you pretty close to a 410 or 412 with a lot less weight. But the selection of 8" guitar speakers is limited and still heavier than I want to carry anymore. I'm good with a 112 90% of the time. But if you build one, I will be an observer on the sidelines.
I typically use a 1x15 as my big sound, lower weight rig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts