The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 MIM started making a lot extra noise.
If I touched one of the screws for the selector or a metal part on my ME-50, it would go away.
I took the pick guard off today and noticed a wire from the volume pot was hanging loose. It seemed odd that it did not appear to be stripped as there were no bare wires showing.
I did try and solder it to what I thought was the correct location on the selector but it kills the bottom 2 positions and there's no sound.
Here's a pic with the wire unsoldered.
Help....

·
Administrator
421 Posts
That is not a MIM Standard pickguard, is it a Classic Series 50s or 60s? Those are Alnico pickups, and match the ones on my Classic Series 60s.

I believe that wire is your ground point to your trem claw.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmmm. I've owned the guitar since new. There is a possibility that the guitar tech I took it to years ago swapped the original out... maybe. I know I didn't pay much more that $120 to have it set up at the time.
How can I identify the pickups? They only have a number - 016730
I had the trem blocked at that time as well.

·
Administrator
421 Posts
Give me a shot of the front and back of the headstock.

Hmm, just check my photos of my Classic 60s. The wiring doesn't match.

However, it does match my American Standard! I knew I recognized it. You've got Alnico V American Standard pickups in that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the end where it broke off. My eyes are not so great so I grabbed a magnifying glass and found where it was originally soldered.
I really need to practice my soldering skills :)
Thanks for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts