The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a 2004 MIM Strat in on trade not thinking much of it and planned to sell. But it totally sold me on strat tone (or so I thought). I ended up buying a 62 Hot Rod Strat that plays much more like what I'm looking for, but the pickups are lacking in cut and clarity. The Hot Rod as 57/62's in it and the MIM has some ceramic bar pickups. Does anyone know the output of those pickups so I don't have to take them out? I'd like to get another set of pickups for the 62HR that will get close to the sound of the ceramics, though I'm sure I can improve on the tone, I actually like that the output of the MIM is just a tiny bit less than my SG with SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers in it. It works well for our songs and how I switch between the guitars. The Hot Rod is WAY quieter and lacking in clarity, cut, and some mids. I still want to retain the sparkly chime that comes in the strat tone though, I don't wanna go to stacked humbuckers or strat sized p90's or anything. So yeah, anyone know approx output and/or recommend pickups to try given the details I've mentioned above?

(I don't wanna take the pickups out of the MIM and put them into the other guitar just yet as I would like to sell the MIM once I get the other one rolling)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Most of the one's I've seen all measure around 6.7 to 6.9k so lets just say 6.8k would be the average . the Ceramic vs Alnico output ,don't really apply to Fender style pickups as traditional Fender Style Alnico rod magnets are directly the pole piece which is close to the string . a stronger Ceramic bar magnets opposing steel slugs ,at the top of the pole to the string ,you are getting similar output . the Ceramic will not be stronger which increases output .

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! So you think I’ll be close if I just get in that range? I was kinda thinking of checking out Bare Knuckle Irish Tour set (or just a bridge pickup if I’m honest with myself), people keep telling me Mothers Milk is what I should look at. I’m also fully open to trying most any brand. BKP has just caught my attention lately.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Do you have a busted cable or a short patch cable and a multimeter? Plug one end into the guitar, read ohms from the other end. Flick through the pickups with the switch.

·
Premium Member
17,328 Posts
Do you have a busted cable or a short patch cable and a multimeter? Plug one end into the guitar, read ohms from the other end. Flick through the pickups with the switch.
Why is it that I can never remember to suggest this approach??

Worse yet, I've used it myself and shown others!! ..DOH

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m gonna get a set of Texas Specials and see where that gets me.

This video and the moment he starts playing is what sold me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts