The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll gladly strip a Mexican Fender and use the body/neck for a project but I wouldn’t mod an Epiphone, is this normal?

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I’ll gladly strip a Mexican Fender and use the body/neck for a project but I wouldn’t mod an Epiphone, is this normal?
I'm intrigued. What's your perception(s) of these product lines that makes you feel a certain way about one and another way about the other?

Quick and dirty answer: I think it's probably a normal thing considering most players fall into either the Fender or Gibson camp.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Both appear to be pretty popular for modding, definitely more so than their American made brothers. I can see the reason for that.

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
it's the feel. if you play a modded mexi and an american strat back to back, they feel about the same. gibby doesn't use poly, so no matter how you mod the epi, it wont feel like the gibby.
also, headstock shape. the strats can have the same headstock, the epi wont.

·
Premium Member
16,800 Posts
I don't know if it's normal but it makes 0 sense to me.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
I also tend to mod all my MIM or Squier products. I have not gotten any Epiphones yet but would probably mod them also.

L

·
0 Posts
MIK Epi's are a good platforms for upgrades.
Pups, and guts are really all you need to do.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
No issues upgrading an Epiphone here. I had an '05 Epiphone Les Paul Standard and did a couple of wiring mods on it, but the pickup upgrade was the biggest one. A set of Burstbuckers really brought that guitar out of it's shell.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I've done pickups and pots and wiring on a Korean Epiphone G-400 Deluxe. That improved things quite a lot and it didn't really need anything else.

I don't have a Mexi strat, but I picked up an old Tokai strat from the mid 80s that is sort of similarly middle-of-the-line. Not the cheapest guitar they made but certainly not the most expensive one either. On top of some general repairs and setup, I changed the pots and the pickups and pickguard.

Basically the same process on both sides.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Fender style guitars have a little less risk, being bolt on guitars. If you botch a mod, you can replace a neck or body without being a skilled luthier.

Personally, I won't buy a guitar that I couldn't mod (collectors item). If my guitar tells me it needs mods, its getting them. I do what my guitars tell me, not the other way around.

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
not the common epiphone headstock shape, nor is it the run-of-the-mill epiphone guitar. i had an elitist with that headstock. an early 90's lp. it was a great guitar. i didn't change anything on it.
anyhow my point was alot of ppl dont like the epi headstock shape. i was thinking maybe vady was possibly one of those.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts