The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the hell did these two idiots get away with recording, and press, when they didn't do shit? How did they get away with it????? Somebody must have known something funny was going down,,The studio that mixed that stuff must have had something to do with it ...No?

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
Sadly Minilli Vanilli was not the end of this sort of thing.

Many bands use backing tracks live to fill in the gaps. Some try to conceal it and some don't.

Frankly, I can see the merit of having a pretty face to present your music. The reality is that image is such an important element to a song's acceptance that ugly bastages like me have less chance of success than we would if we tried the Milli Vannilli trip.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
:confused-smiley-010

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
Actually the strange thing is that the public felt so betrayed.

The public's shallow obsession with physical beauty is exactly why someone felt the need to try this.

They wanted pretty fluff and they got it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
imagine, for a second....what if the similar thing happened, not in music...but....hmmm, let's say, the leadership of a very powerful country?????

Andy

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
sysexguy said:
imagine, for a second....what if the similar thing happened, not in music...but....hmmm, let's say, the leadership of a very powerful country?????

Andy
Sorry, you'll have to be a bit more direct. I'm not following you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't have a problem with bands using samples live. Rush have been doing it for years. However, that's different than lip-synching, which is reprehensible

·
Registered
874 Posts
Bottom line is that nobody in the industry that knew about MV cared as long as they made money off it. As far as the leader of a powerful country, coudn.t happen.....errr, sorry I forgot about George W. :smilie_flagge17:

Tarl

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts
Welcome back from the dead!

I don't have a problem with bands using samples live. Rush have been doing it for years. However, that's different than lip-synching, which is reprehensible
Lip synching is one thing, what Made Milli Vanilli relatively unique is that they were lip syncing in the studio. Though I don't see a lot of difference between that and using pitch correction.

...errr, sorry I forgot about George W. :smilie_flagge17:
and Ronald Reagan.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Wasn't it at the Olympics in China where they used a cute little girl to take center stage while the real & not as cute singer did the vocals?

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
yes, that did happen, mr. lincoln.

but yeah the lip synching thing is common these days. funny that milli vanilli got raked over the coals and then it became a trend. see britney, mariah, christina, beyonce, and the others. they don't sing live.

(of course, it's not funny that one of them went suicidal over it)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Producer Frank Farian put it all together. He was also the same producer who created Boney M, but in the 70s it was okay to use different people for the visual side and the audio side.

·
Registered
24,667 Posts
The phenomenon of using one set of musicians, for the studio work that initially captures the public's attention, and another more photogenic set of persons for the tour side, did not begin with Milli Vanilli, nor will it end with them...although the technology makes it more feasible for such things to be easily implemented. Plenty of pop and doo-wop groups were actually one set of people in the studio and another on tour. Consider the Monkees, for starters.

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
The phenomenon of using one set of musicians, for the studio work that initially captures the public's attention, and another more photogenic set of persons for the tour side, did not begin with Milli Vanilli, nor will it end with them...although the technology makes it more feasible for such things to be easily implemented. Plenty of pop and doo-wop groups were actually one set of people in the studio and another on tour. Consider the Monkees, for starters.
For example there's the Wrecking Crew--various members played on a lot of hits, but if that group went out on tour--well they might not get the same reaction.

To some degree we listen with our eyes as well as our ears.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts