The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been thinking about going after a 1980's/early 1990's MIJ '57 or '62 Strat Reissue. My first ever guitar was a MIJ Squier Strat, which I loved and grew out of, and now I've been thinking of going back. I know the CIJ's quality eventually waned in the mid-to-late 1990's and then the Classic Series evolved out of the Mexican plant. I've been pretty snobby - sorry - about Mexican guitars up until now, because I have always overlooked them, but I have recently read some great reviews about the Classic Series, which have peaked my interest. Thankfully, there is a healthy supply of both MIJs and Classics on the used market. It looks like the Classics can be purchased for $200+ cheaper, so I'd love to hear your opinions. What experiences have you had with either lines? What would you recommend?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
I know nothing about the MIJs or the Classic Series Strats, but I can say that the Classic series Teles (both '50s and '60s versions) are excellent guitars. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

·
Premium Member
18,596 Posts
I'm going to hopefully check out a classic series tele if L&M has them after work, provided my eyes stay open.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Classic: neck isn't as chunky as an AV or a Brad Paisley Sig. Bridge pickup isn't great IMO. Those are the only cons I've come ip with in playing mine daily for a year.

The bridge pickups don't have baseplates for some reason.

·
Premium Member
18,596 Posts
Classic: neck isn't as chunky as an AV or a Brad Paisley Sig. Bridge pickup isn't great IMO. Those are the only cons I've come ip with in playing mine daily for a year.
I know i like chunky for being at home, gotta decide if it would work in a gigging situation.

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
The bridge pickups don't have baseplates for some reason.
I know, it's weird.

I know i like chunky for being at home, gotta decide if it would work in a gigging situation.
They're still chunkier than a CV Squire or a MIM Standard. Somewhere between the new Am Pro and the Baja 50s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts