The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, big MIJ fan here too. I learned my chops on a Univox LP, quality stuff.

I currently own a goofy named Fresher Straighter FS-482 (neck-thru Strat copy from the late 70s), an early '80s Ibanez Roadstar Series II "Super" Strat and a '74 MIJ Epiphone FT-145 acoustic. They never break or cause grief, just a pleasure to play.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I have three MIJ Tokais, a Goldstar Sound, a SpringySound and a Love Rock.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Has anyone bought these from Japan directly, from Ishibashi for example. or you're finding these on kijiji?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I've had a few.
3 Orvilles
2 Burnys
1 Edwards
2 Fresher teles,
2 Orville By Gibson RI
3 Tokai
5 Bacchus,
2 Fender Japan DMC
2 Greco strats
2 Ibanez

I think that's about it. If you know what your're doing, you can get a guitar every bit as good, or better, than the big name brands for a lot less.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Yes I have some MIJ guitars, some came from this forum which is your best bet, but I've brought quite a few direct from Japan and really only had one issue - a 1977 Cat's Eye's CE450 that had a couple undisclosed issues (a small top crack and a loose piece of bracing), I bought it on ebay and the seller wasn't interested in addressing my concerns directly so I documented them in an ebay not as described claim, which the seller lost. When he wouldn't pay return shipping (lol) I ended up keeping it for a total cost of $90 - I fixed it and it's fantastic... and guys, pic's or it didn't happen, remember?

·
Registered
12,488 Posts
Has anyone bought these from Japan directly, from Ishibashi for example. or you're finding these on kijiji?
One of my Epiphones came from a dealer in Japan. I got dinged at the border for duties.
That was the only one though, most of mine were sourced in this forum or locally.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Yes I have some MIJ guitars, some came from this forum which is your best bet, but I've brought quite a few direct from Japan and really only had one issue - a 1977 Cat's Eye's CE450 that had a couple undisclosed issues (a small top crack and a loose piece of bracing), I bought it on ebay and the seller wasn't interested in addressing my concerns directly so I documented them in an ebay not as described claim, which the seller lost. When he wouldn't pay return shipping (lol) I ended up keeping it for a total cost of $90 - I fixed it and it's fantastic... and guys, pic's or it didn't happen, remember?

View attachment 369224
I didn't post my photos because I figured pretty much everybody here has seen them in the past. Here you go:
My Springy Sound

My Goldstar Sound

My Love Rock

21 - 37 of 37 Posts