The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a fan of MIJ gutiars.

I have an older MIJ Ibanez (a sort of frankenstein of a 550 and 560) and MIJ Fender Tele that absolutely rule. Im grabbing a Greco ES345 Copy tomorrow which I am very excited about.

Any other MIJ fans here?

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I have always been a fan of MIJ gutiars.

I have an older MIJ Ibanez (a sort of frankenstein of a 550 and 560) and MIJ Fender Tele that absolutely rule. Im grabbing a Greco ES345 Copy tomorrow which I am very excited about.

Any other MIJ fans here?
I’ve been on a big MIJ kick that last year and half. I grew up playing Ibanez but couldn’t afford a MIJ till later.

I think ESP standards and originals are some of the finest guitars made but my Caparison are by far the best playing and highest quality guitars I’ve ever touched

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
Every guitar I own is MIJ. Tokai Silver Star strat, a Greco Les Paul Custom Light,. Fender Japan St 62, Takamine 400s, and I also have a 72 Greco Strat.

Reactions: Frenchy99

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
I've had El Degas, Mann, Univox and Fender.
Still have an oddball Gession (Tokai?) LP.

Reactions: Frenchy99

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
I have 3 MIJs. A 1994 Fender 62 RI Tele, 1985 Fender Stratocaster E-Series and 1978 Ibanez GB10. The tele I used exclusively from 1995 to 2003. The Ibanez I use it for my duo.
Also, whenever someone comes over to my place and sees that 62 RI, most would say, "if you ever decide to sell that guitar, let me know". I have changed the pickups of that guitar over the years. Now it has Jon Moore pickups on it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I have a Ibanez double neck that was basically a copy of the Gibson model and I believe they ended up in court ..I think the result was after that , Ibanez had to change the shape of the headstock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes! A couple Orvilles and an Ibanez RG1527 here. I used to have an RG550 that I miss and I'm on the lookout for an RG565 now.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Since 1989, the Gretsch pro line models have been made in Japan. Love the ones I have. Once in a while I consider selling, but they're just so damn nice.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've been a big MIJ fan since the 80's. I've had a number of Ibanez's over the years and all were great guitars. Two that stand out in my mind were a 1978 Iceman and a 1980 Artist (forget the model but it was the solid body double cutaway that was pretty prevalent back then). I also bought a brand new MIJ E series Squier Strat in 1986. I swapped out the electronics and it served me well for a number of years but I was hung up on the Squier name on the headstock so I sold it and bought an American Standard. It really wasn't much of an upgrade. A couple years after that I bought an MIJ ST-67 re-issue Strat as a backup to my AS but it didn't take long for it to become my #1 as it still is 27 years later. The American Standard is long gone.

·
Premium Member
13,332 Posts
I believe they ended up in court ..I think the result was after that , Ibanez had to change the shape of the headstock.
There was only a threat of court action and Ibanez changed their headstock shape prior to Gibson making the threat.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I took a chance on a CIJ ST54-80AM without knowing too much about it. It was quite possibly the best strat I've ever played, but I didn't know it at the time. A friend offered me a trade I couldn't resist and I thought "I can just find another one for cheap". In the past few years I've bought and sold many strats, from American Standards up to CS ones and the only one I miss is the ST54-80AM. Here's a cool old school blog about ST54's and their variants:

I also have a White Falcon, which is great, but it had better be for the price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Big fan of MIJ guitars. I've had MIJ Fenders and Edwards and Grecos. Picked up a Greco over there when I visited. It's "low end" by price but the build and playability are top notch.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
MIJ Ibby Prestiges are pretty much the only guitars I have interest in, apart from a few Music Man models. I only have one guitar at the moment and it's an Ibanez FR2620. Very fun to play and looks very different from your usual Ibanez. I'm consistently on the hunt for Prestiges (mostly 7 strings now but those new fangled transparent colored top ones are super cool).

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Most of my instruments are MIJ, still my No.1 instruments and I do have American made ones to compare.

Wont list since to long to do.

·
Premium Member
18,292 Posts
I can think of at least two or three Japanese guitars and mandolins I have. I agree with most here that the quality in some of these guitars is very high.

I have a nice Greco that sort of reeks of quality.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I've wanted a nice MIJ Greco or Tokai or similar quality Les Paul for sometime now but few come for sale locally so no luck yet. One day for sure though.

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
I have a few, a Fender ST54, a Tokai Love Rock TJ60, Washburn A20, Yamaha SC300T and a Fernandes Retrorocket.

There was a time that I had five MIJ LPs, a John Sykes Burny, Tokai Love Rock, Greco EG900 and two MIJ Epi Standards.
I also had a nice two tone 52 RI Tele that I miss.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I've had a few MIJ guitars- some Fender/Squier and a few Ibanez guitars. Currently the MIJ stable is an Ibanez S570 (1993), an Ibanez RG750 (1989) and an old ESP made Kramer Focus 1000 (mid 80's). Most of the rest of my guitars are US and Canadian made.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts