The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
damn, what a find. I guess when they looked it up in their little book for a price and it wasn't there, or they gave some shmo 50 bucks for it :D

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I always thought the old Hagstoms had a great neck/fretboard action.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes Hagstroms have wonderful necks.
Inside is an aluminum I-beam and thats what allowed the Swedish Craftsmen to make them so thin.
I know, lots of guitarists like a big fat rounded neck; but not me.
I have a 66/67 Hagstrom Viking with the "Kings Neck" as the old decals used to proclaim.
Hagstrom ads used to boast "fastest neck in the world".
However, I beleive the Swede Necks are a little bigger.
Is that true?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great Score!

I always thought that Hagstrom's had an excellent
headstock design. Very classy :D

What does the second toggle switch do?
Coil split/tap maybe?

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ofender said:
That's a nice looking guitar actually. Was paying $350 a steal? And yes, what is the other switch for?
On the Swede you have the 3 position PUP selector switch and a 3 position tone switch. They made a limited number of Super Swede's that also had a coil tapping switch. Yes, the $350 was a deal. For an original Swede you would be looking at $600 plus. The Super Swedes are rare and command a premium.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Always wanted to have one. In 1978, when I still lived in Eestern Europe, I was visiting Helsinki with 500 USD in my pocket for one guitar. Every gtr store had Swedes and they looked so tempting. The Swede had a very good reputation already then (jazz dude Larry Coryell played one) but at the end I went for a Stratocaster - 78, hardtail, r/w neck (500 wasn't enough for tremolo or maple neck). I still have the Strat, all original, and love it despite all the bad rap they get from all over.
I still keep checking eBay for Swedes, missed a chance to get a Superswede body and neck "project" recently.
I love your Swede, congratulations!

·
Administrator
16,163 Posts
YaReMi said:
Always wanted to have one. In 1978, when I still lived in Eestern Europe, I was visiting Helsinki with 500 USD in my pocket for one guitar. Every gtr store had Swedes and they looked so tempting. The Swede had a very good reputation already then (jazz dude Larry Coryell played one) but at the end I went for a Stratocaster - 78, hardtail, r/w neck (500 wasn't enough for tremolo or maple neck). I still have the Strat, all original, and love it despite all the bad rap they get from all over.
I still keep checking eBay for Swedes, missed a chance to get a Superswede body and neck "project" recently.
I love your Swede, congratulations!
It's about time you showed up :food-smiley-004:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts