1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,982 Posts
i would love to play a few, they look pretty good at least :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just so you know, they now have hybrids with dual humbuckers. So if you wanna spring for a hybrid might as well go for the dual bucker one for the added versatility.
you would think so, but I actually love the sound of a middle pickup on its own. best range, lots of meat, not too shrill, strong bottom end. I tend to use the middle pickup on my strat most of all

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you would think so, but I actually love the sound of a middle pickup on its own. best range, lots of meat, not too shrill, strong bottom end. I tend to use the middle pickup on my strat most of all
I think I'm on the same page with you. The type of music I play tends to gravitate toward the Bridge pups but my favorite tones seem to come from the middle?

I have seen the hybrid specials with the double humbuckers! :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
Here is a couple of pics of the MK Patriot Phoenix I own...

I bought this guitar the night I first seen/played it.
Playability is awsome for a LP style body, neck is more modern and similar to Washburn and ESP with a thin but not too thin D profile, finish is as you can see - Awsome, tone is very good for a guitar in this price range, pups are like classic Gibbo P.A.F.s' with a little more output, inlay work is spot on, grover tuners, tone pros bridge, well balanced and not too heavy. This guitar lacks in no areas and I got mine for just over $500 new. When I show ppl my PRS CE22 that I paid close to $2500 new and ask which gutar "looks"more expensive the Michael Kelly has been picked every time except once.

Al lot of bang for the buck.
I've played the Hybrid and it is a very cool guitar well worth the asking price.

Khing

·
Registered
300 Posts
wow on that closeup shot of the orange one, the flame top looks to be amazing quality considering the price range. Closeups I've seen on PRSs and Gibsons look exactly the same. From what I can tell from the photographs at least, that guitar looks like a steal...Drool

·
Registered
872 Posts
That hybrid has really got my attention!! I've been checking out the sound clips and video on the site and that thing is sweet. Just wish the special came in the nice black.

·
Registered
793 Posts
wow on that closeup shot of the orange one, the flame top looks to be amazing quality considering the price range. Closeups I've seen on PRSs and Gibsons look exactly the same. From what I can tell from the photographs at least, that guitar looks like a steal...Drool
Yeah the Michael Kelly has a really nice top, not to mention the inlays, it's a bit over the top for me, but it still looks killer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Michael Kelly In General

I’m Curious as to kno what ppl think of Michael Kelly's in general. I have a Highway 1 Tele and a Gibson Firebird Studio, as well as a Seagull acoustic to name a few.When searching for a new possible guitar, I stumbled across Michael Kelly. They seem to have an incredible line up and use materials such as solid spruce tops (acoustic),ebony and mahogany fret boards (acoustic and Electric), Maple tops and Grover tuners when building their guitars, which is some of the best IMO. I understand that they are made in Korea, but if they sound great and are reliable...why not pick one up? (acoustic or electric) especially for that price...please tell me of your experiences and knowledge of Michael Kelly

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I should give this guitar a quick review,
Well.........the guitar looks great. The finish is excellent. It feels really nice to play. Very comfortable, the neck has a Gibson SG feel too it. I really loved the guitar ............untill I plugged it into my amp. It was pretty much downhill from there. It just sounded like a pile of mush through my amp. The piezo wasn't bad but I have heard way better. I was extremely disappointed because I really love the body shape and the whole concept of the guitar. Then I looked at the headstock and noticed the 3rd and 4th strings actually touch the tuning posts of strings 2 and 5? To me that just screems poor design. Take a look at the pictures of all Mickeal Kelley guitars and you will notice this issue.

I ended up exchanging it for an Epiphone LP 56 gold top with P90's! :bow:

Wow! Now this is an incredibly great guitar that I highly recommend! I swear this thing must be a Gibson that just couldn't be sold for $2500.00 because of some minor imperfection that I cannot see or hear? Its the best $450.00 bucks I ever spent.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Well I'm not surprised to hear you took it back. A few days ago(after you ordered yours) I was talking to a guy at work about them(he plays as well). He was very interested in them so he called his friend who works at the 12th fret. He said guys return them all the time, they don't really stock them anymore. He said that neither the acoustic or electric sounded that good. I think if it could at least do one well it may be worth it. But both just ok, I'll pass.

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
I got my Patriot Phoenix locally... the top is very nice at this price... there is no tuning post issue with mine and the hybrid i played does not have the tuning post issue either. Wonder whats going on there?

Khing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts