The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this amp a while ago but never really had the time or place to really try it out. It’s a home built clone of a 60’s Supro Super 1606. It’s only 5 watts but it can get pretty loud and I live in a duplex. I took it to a jam but it couldn’t keep up there and I had another amp that could. Finally this morning my wife was at work and the neighbours were away. I really like this little amp now. I wasn’t sure about it when I couldn’t turn it up. With the 8” Jensen it is very shrill at low volume. I had turned it up for a couple minutes a few times so I knew the tone was there. This morning I played my P90 SG for about an hour with the amp at different volumes. The sweet spot is about 2:00 or 3:00 o’clock. Much past 3:00 it turns to mud. With the Guitar volume around 3 or 4 it was reasonably clean without the overpowering treble, although I did have to back the tone on the guitar off to about 5 or 6. Turn the Guitar volume up and the amp sagged into pure creamy blues. I’m going to have to buy a mic for when I take it to jams. Any recommendations for a decent (cheap) mic and stand that would work for this. I know nothing about mic’s. It has to be something that I can hook into whatever pa is on site.

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
I use an SM57 and the other guitar player uses an E609. I prefer the sound quality of the E609 and the ability to mount it close is an advantage. I've had a few people trip over my 57 because it sticks out so much.

But I already owned the 57 so it was a no-brainer. I am on the lookout for an E609 or 906 somewhere down the road. If I didn't have anything, that's what I'd get.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Looks like the E609 is the way to go. I'll be in the city today with cash from a recent guitar sale in hand and the closest L&M has stock.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Yes, no contest, IMO. If you look at the specs - output level, frequency response, capsule polar pattern it is easy to see there are definable differences.

Personally, I will only buy Sennheiser and Shure mics from an authorized dealer. There are a lot of "replicas" out there.

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
I've heard of Shure knockoffs.

As I said, I have the 906 and do like it.
I just assumed that the 609 would've been the same as the other in the "normal" position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts