The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking for a used Crunch pedal. If anyone comes across one can you drop me a PM. I'm thinking I need to add one of these pedals to my board.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just added one to mine, a lot of power in a little pedal.... :D
Exactly what I'm looking for. I tend to be a bit of a pedal whore. Not that I have a ton on my board at any given time, but they change around. I've thought about trying to homebrew one (I've built lots of pedals from scratch), but I think this time I'll add the real thing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mine sounds great on the first single ended EL84 amp I built.. not soo great on the plexi. I don't think this pedal likes to go through attenuation of any kind. It is a pretty good pedal though.. if I part with it I will let you guys know.... I have a hard time letting go of stuff though! A lot of them are on sale constantly on gearpage.. get the guy selling to mark the value at 20$ and you are good to go without custom fees. :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just as an FYI.. I A/B 'd my crunch box with my pulled off the shelf and dusted off Boss BD-2.. if you open the BD-2 up on gain and level , you'll get a crunchbox that is fatter but a tad less crunchy. Just one guys view point but they are very close sonically in my opinion. Sounded pretty damn good. Could check that out for versatility because teh crunch box does not clean up well or sound good with gain lower unless you are using it to drive front end of an amp already breaking up.. (to me anyway)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I was checking out the Crunch Box the other day and came across a MXR Distortion III, I actually preferred the MXR, sure the two are different, but I was just looking for a nice 70s rock sound and the MXR just sounded more rich to my ears, definitely check out the MXR as well if you can.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Really? I would have thought these to be two very different beasts. I have heard a few clips of the MXR and I found it kind of bassy and nasaly. The crunch box prety much sounds the same in all the clips I have heard. Interesting how we all hear things differently..

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Had a crunch box for a short while and never really took to it - extremely high gain (for me anyways) and I found it to basically be a one-trick pony. I found it a bit indistince - great for power chords but for fuller sounding chords some of the notes got lost in the mix...

It was basically replaced by a Fulltone OCD which can also do the high gain thing (though not quite as high) but also sounds rich and full at lower gain settings - extremely versatile.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The crunch box is a one trick pony, but it does that marshall sound so well, if you're looking for versatility, I would look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got a chance to play around with one this weekend and kinda glad I didn't just go out and buy one. It is a real one trick pony (but does that trick really well). I think I may have to look into a Tonebone hot british instead.

·
Registered
349 Posts
100% agree..useless for anything moderate crunch, its total high gain JCM800 hot rodded. And I also agree it loses clarity in the chords when gain is set higher. But its a good back up if your amp blows on stage and you have to go direct through a clean amp or through the board. Look at me talking like i still play in a band lol.. I find myself back to just boosting with the Bad Monkey or BB preamp. Even the SD-1 is making it back in now and again..lets face it, boosts are very similar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts