The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting a pocket pod this Christmas, but I found out this pedal is in the same price range. Im looking for a great distortion pedal that is still quite versatile. Any other recommendations?

ps..anybody got one of these for sale? haha

·
Registered
365 Posts
I dig mine...it's a little dark though. With my setup the tone knob is all the way up, but my amp is pretty dark too. I'm using it with a Boss DS-1, and they complinment eachother very well.

I may be selling mine...depends on how the Box Of Metal is!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Along the same lines as an Crunch Box, I recently bought a Fulltone OCD. As much as everyone raves about this pedal, I've been kinda disappointed with it. Maybe its just my amp (Marshall DSL50) but the OCD is way too bassy and compressed sounding for me.

Someone posted some Crunch Box clips recently on the GearPage, and it sounded fantastic.

·
Registered
96 Posts
After swapping my Marshall DSL 50 for a twin reverb I needed a "marshall in a box"...after reading a bunch of reviews and hearing samples I've got the search narrowed down to:

-MI audio crunch box (should be here any day now)
-Sansamp GT2 (Received it from ebay but it was broken...currently being repaired)
-Marshall DriveMaster (also on its way)
-Kaden Brown Creeper...still have to buy

I'll let you know how it goes and how the crunch box 'stacks' up.
Here are some samples:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=761668

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that tech21 sansamp looks tempting.

If I got the MI Audio crunch box, I could feed the output into a DI box, and then into a PA system right? Just making sure.

Are these things any good?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=damage+control

I really want a compact distortion pedal that sounds great and that can cover a lot of bases. Of course, the damage control stuff is more expensive, but I guess I could save up. The nice thing about those, is that they have a recording output...and they have tubes!

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
The Seymour Duncan Lava Box is pretty sweet, though a little short on EQ adjustability with only a single "RUMBLE" control to go with the gain and volume. However it doesn't overly colour the tone so amp/guitar and other effects can do the job. Highly recommended.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
I don't find the MI Audio Crunch versatile. It is really a one-trick pony, a "Marshall JCM800 in a box". BUT, it is great at what it does.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Never tried that but I heard good things about the Tech21 SansAmp.

·
Registered
365 Posts
One of my favourite bands Mono uses one as well!

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
One of my favourite bands Mono uses one as well!
Another Mono fan!?!?!?!?!?!

Awesome! I've got every album. The first time I saw them was about 4 years back at the Horseshoe in Toronto. It was a free show with only about 20 people there, but they blew my mind and had a pretty full house from interested walkups from the bar by the time they finished.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I love Mono, their live shows seem great. I think I'll have to take a road trip next summer. Their live DVD will tide me over for now though, it's pretty damn good.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another Mono fan!?!?!?!?!?!

Awesome! I've got every album. The first time I saw them was about 4 years back at the Horseshoe in Toronto. It was a free show with only about 20 people there, but they blew my mind and had a pretty full house from interested walkups from the bar by the time they finished.
2 OTHER MONO FANS!?!?!?!?!?!

They are fantastic...i've only got 2 of their albums though. I saw them at the underground in Hamilton and they were amazing...I felt like I was on something. I also listen to explosions in the sky and saw them at the opera house in toronto last year. At both shows I was up at the front so I got to look at all the pedals. They both had the GT2 so I looked into it. Finally ended up buying one recently only to have been sent a dud.

Oh and don't be swayed by the tubes in the damage control...they don't really get heated up enough to produce that true tube like distortion.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Personally, I'd go for the GT2. It seems loads more versatile than the Crunch Box. The Crunch Box can be fund pretty cheap used though, and if you don't like it you can just sell it back!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, the crunch box isn't so cheap used. I bought mine new form a dealer on ebay and it came to 115 USD. I was also watching a used one (the only used one on ebay) and it went for 95 after shipping...not much of a difference but that means if you don't like it..its got a great resale value. Also, the GT2 isn't true bypass and is intended to use for recording only. I couldn't make up my mind either so I ordered both...the used GT2 was $100 USD incl ship.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
huh....but I thought Neil Zaza runs his GT2 into the effects loop of an amp?

could the GT2 work well with a PA system then?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts