The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Meshuggah

860 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jimmythegeek 
#1 ·
Fredrik Thordendal is the most underrated guitarist on earth.

Discuss...

#3 ·
Entirely disagree. If you're into metal, you know his name. He has a signature guitar with one of the largest recognizable guitar companies. If you listen to metal, odds are *someone* has shown you a meshuggah track (probably Bleed). All of that means he's held in pretty high regard by at least a few people ;).

Now if you want to talk about what he's contributed to the metal community, I'm interested in that discussion.

#6 ·
They are known for being very tight. Obviously the musicality appeals to some but not all haha.

I dont own a single meshuggah album, but I appreciate interesting rhythms and technicality when Im in the mood.
Musical tastes aside, it may be the FOH tech in me that finds that clip unmusical. When the beat is that fast, it's sort of counterproductive if you're trying to sound heavy.

It really loses that heavy feel, but that's just my tastes. The cookie monster vocals are another issue altogether.

#8 ·
I had seen them featured in articles in guitar mags, but never heard them. Listened to the track that TDU posted, and it reminded me of the quip from the late great Mitch Hedberg: “I ate one anchovy, and that is why I did not eat two anchovies. .." Competent and indefatigable drummer, though.

#9 ·
I posted that track specifically because it's a pretty cool drum cam track. While the band aren't my thing due to not digging the vocal style, they are all incredibly talented and have always pushed metal boundaries big time. I'd say check out more tracks, but I can totally see people finding the music abrasive. There's a few tracks I like, but they aren't a band I listen to in large doses.

#12 ·
I have always thought that Destroy Erase Improve was incredible but I could take or leave the rest. Bizarrely, the drummer Tomas has claimed that everything they play is in 4, just broken into weird cycles (odd numbered groups of bars like 3s or 5s rather than traditional 8, 12 or 16 bar form). I disagree lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.