The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting some GAS for a Mesa of some sort. I've only owned the F50 combo and miss its clean sounds and crunch tones although that particular model had its limitations.

Im thinking of getting a single or dual rec and was wondering people opinions and what kind of prices to offer?

I find a lot of guys think they'll get top dollar since they paid 3200 new and that sort of thing, meanwhile they're a dime a dozen and Im not going to pay 1300+ for a 50 or 100 watt used amp. Is it just me?

Also, is it worth getting a triple rev vs a dual, and will a rectoverb suffice? Looking for a early Foo's and soundgarden sound and wanting to cover some 90's rock territory.

·
Premium Member
17,387 Posts
I don't think a single rec will sound a thing like your F50.

If you're getting a recto, get a triple. The headroom means that you're going to be able to sound bigger. A triple swallows a dual in a two guitar band.

The singles go for $850-$1000 or so, and add a couple hundred ish for each 50W you move up.

There's also the stiletto series and the mark series. First decide which mesa tone you want, and then narrow down the amp.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I've got a MkIII and a MkI Reissue for sale. Both 1x12 hardwood combos. No shipping would be a bonus. They are heavy.

·
Premium Member
8,985 Posts
I have a Dual, and had 2 at one point. Triples scare me :confused: 150W. Anyways, they do have a good master vol, I used it (and the other guitar player still uses it) but with a 1x12, in a basement hard rock band where controlling volume is a definite issue, and still get very satisfactory tones.

Fabulous amp. Changed mine to KT77's, kinda heads for that touch more headroom Budda alludes to on the Triples.

Got one for $800 and one for a grand (newer version with the updates), this would be 3 years ago or so and the gear market isn't stronger now, you know? Though I don't see them as often on local kijiji these days, I still wouldn't actually pay over a grand for one now.

Early RectoVerbs are allegedly some of the best sounding amps in that whole Recto series. Always wanted one.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I've got a MkIII and a MkI Reissue for sale. Both 1x12 hardwood combos. No shipping would be a bonus. They are heavy.
Those are the ones to get... for my tastes at least

Lots of people prefer the Dual over the Triple, I don't remember why
They have a particular sound... usually people love them or hate them
One of the cheapest amps on the used market, when you consider options and build quality
The price for a Dual where I'm located seems to be 1200$ but you can definitely find better deals

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think a single rec will sound a thing like your F50.

If you're getting a recto, get a triple. The headroom means that you're going to be able to sound bigger. A triple swallows a dual in a two guitar band.

The singles go for $850-$1000 or so, and add a couple hundred ish for each 50W you move up.

There's also the stiletto series and the mark series. First decide which mesa tone you want, and then narrow down the amp.

I know its not the same as my F50 and probably why I ended up selling the F50. Could never get a great lead tone. I understand the headroom but that also adds quite a few bucks and I don't need a three channel with all those options right now.

Im looking to get a 90's soundgarden, early foo fighters tone, pretty sure between the buried and me used them, kings x, earlier dream theatre, etc. loved all those tones.. Think a less modern hard rock tone. I do like the sounds of the stilleto's as they are more marshally, but I think my 5153 probably covers that ground enough as its killed my JCM GAS and my fender clean GAS.

·
Premium Member
17,387 Posts
Find out what SoundGarden and Foo Fighters used, then grab one of those!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Soundgarden and Grohl both used the Tremoverb. A 90's Dual Rec variant with a special channel dubbed "Blues" that wasn't found on normal Dual Recs of the time (obviously they also had tremolo). Damn fine amps. A bit hard to find these days, and with age some develop issues with LDR's that need to be swapped. Nevertheless many consider them the best Rec's ever made.

That said I like my Single Rec just fine. But Budda's right, if you're gigging, might want to spring for at least a Dual.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
The F series can sound awesome driven. I found that the treble on the tone stack should be turned all the way down on that channel.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Don't forget the Electra Dyne. I'm a longtime Marshall guy, who recently went on a Mesa bender, and the Dyne is just blowing my mind. Love it.

I've owned/sold a Royal Atlantic combo and Stiletto Deuce head (+ Recto 2x12 I've kept) in the past few months. While I liked those amps, I LOVE the Dyne head + Recto 2x12. Insanely great sounding amp.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did do a bit of googling to see what they may have used, and dual rec and rectoverb mostly came up. I know foo's use a few roadkings now for most their live stuff. They were also using mostly ac30s for cleaner tones. Regardless, I have none of the same gear as them so its not like Im trying to comp the same sounds, just similar. The clear but heavy soundgarden crunch as an example.

I'll look into the electradyne too.

I saw a rectoverb combo on kijiji a few months ago for $750 but I didn't have the float. I think thats just adding fuel to the fire.. I also recently let go of my AD-30 combo and Im maybe just suffering from a monogamous relationship with my 5153 so its just a matter of time before I'm due for an affair.

·
Premium Member
17,387 Posts
You may find yourself in the same boat as me once you get one: you like what other folks can do with a recto, but the 5150 is your preferred amp. I didn't expect it, but a few years of owning a Roadster followed by borrowing my brother's block letter 5150 was pretty ear-opening.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, you're most likely bang on. I remember the tone stack annoying me to no end. I could dial in a sweet tone at home even recorded, but I'd take it out and be constantly playing with it depending on the room. The 5153 has more of a hairy plexi drive going on, and doesn't need boosts or anything.

The thing with the recto series is I've heard a few guys use them as relatively clean and low gain amps and they sounded great. Im used to keeping amps for a long time and getting to know them so figured it would be versatile in the long run.

Mesa Boogie Head + Speaker Cab | amps, pedals | Calgary | Kijiji

That one is tempting.

I also saw a triple with roadcase for $1200... hmm

·
Premium Member
17,387 Posts
Buy the triple. The other thing is that mesa revamped the recto line, improving the clean channel and making the drive channels sound more like the coveted Rev G (?) series two channel dual and triple recs. I have been chatting online with Mesa artists and fanboys for a few years and they unanimously agreed that the latest revision of rectifiers is the one to get.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
A Triple with a road case for $1200!?
Yeah, I'd grab that for sure!

The only caveat I can think of: six power tubes cost 50% more than four. But all that extra headroom might come in handy!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wasn't I the guy bitching about tubes a year or two ago? I went preamp/SS power for a while... I blame that on my AD30. That 30 watter cranked just ate tubes, then a new guy at work tells me he gigs regularly with the same amp and is on stock tubes on a 15 yr old amp..... What gives?

tried contacting the guy and no dice. The ad is also a month old...

·
Registered
550 Posts
If durability is a concern (why wouldn't it be?) I have some experience with Mesa amps.
I recently sold a Mark 4 that I owned and gigged since 1994 and it NEVER let me down.
I had a Dual Rec from 2000 that I used regularly and sold to a friend who also uses it regularly to gig and record, never a problem.
He and I have never had a problem with that amp.
I have owned an F50, Maverick, dc30 and a Blue Angel, but not long enough to form a real opinion.
My most recent Mesa is a Lonestar special I bought in 2010.
It has let me down twice, both times the rectifier tube.
I carry a spare and a fuse.
I can't replace the sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts