The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Mesa boogie M6 2013 vs. SVT Classic 2014

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  jb welder 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking for people with experience with both of these amps in a touring situation.

We know ampegs die a lot but we hope the newer ones fixed that issue. The mesa has a history of overheating, not sure if that's fixed in the 2013's.

It will get run hard twice a week at practice and daily on tour. Reliability, ability to keep up and good base tone is what we're after.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I like the M6 a LOT and the weight makes it so much easier to cart around than the SVT. The sound is not quite the same, but is in the same camp. The SVT is a back breaker. I switched to a Mark Bass (CMD 151 Jeff Berlin combo) about a year ago and it is my favourite so far. With the VLE/VFE controls you can get almost any sound out of it and it weighs nothing.

#8 ·
Here's what he said:

"Yo dude! I have a Mesa m6 carbine through two Mesa powerhouse speakers 4x10 2x10. Best f'ING amp I've ever owned an absolute tank.... you've heard it so you know what it sounds like. I would buy again in a heart beat no issues."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Unlikely. My friend's amp is in a rack case with a tuner, so enclosed on all sides. They play pretty darned loud too (much louder than my current band), but they're also a cover band that plays 3 hour shows, so the amp is working hard for a loooooong time. Ditto at rehearsals. Usually the amp is on for 4-5 hours. If it can handle that, I'm sure it can handle your situation.

#14 ·
Nice, a buddy of mine had an SVT 450 and it was a very decent-sounding amp.

The SVT Classic is a beast and quite a different animal from the M6, which is only a tube preamp. Lots of great tones in that box, which is why it's been used on pretty much everything ever. Hope you guys dig it!

#16 ·
A little late to the party on this one. Relevant to my interests, as I just picked up an M9 Carbine. The little bit of research I did told me that older M9s had an overheating issue, which was fixed by scaling the power back from 900 watts to 600 (i.e., basically the same output as the M6). I believe this happened in 2013; the M9 I just bought is a 2013 and is 600W. Mesa were even taking older M9s (900W) in to mod them to lower wattage, I think for only the cost of shipping. Other than that, I have only heard good things about the Mesa and the reliability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.