The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone help me with a Boogie .50+? It's dropped its volume about half. I assumed it was tubes, so I replaced them. I started with the preamp and put in brand new JJs--no difference. So, I thought, it's gotta be power tubes. The TAD 6L6s I've got in there are a little over a year old, it's probably time. So I thought I'd try EH 6L6s. I put them in the amp and turned it on to burn them in around 2:30pm. I went to work for about six hours, came back and could smell burning or heat. I shut it off, let it cool down, and looked at the tubes. There is heat marks all along the Tube Store sticker and the right hand (from the back) tubes label is flaking off from the heat. I plugged it in again and watched the tubes heat up. That right hand tube heats up fasts and gets really hot--hotter than the other one. Pretty much as soon as I turn on the standby and the power hits them I smell heat. What's going on?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
can anyone help me with a Boogie .50+? It's dropped its volume about half. I assumed it was tubes, so I replaced them. I started with the preamp and put in brand new JJs--no difference. So, I thought, it's gotta be power tubes. The TAD 6L6s I've got in there are a little over a year old, it's probably time. So I thought I'd try EH 6L6s. I put them in the amp and turned it on to burn them in around 2:30pm. I went to work for about six hours, came back and could smell burning or heat. I shut it off, let it cool down, and looked at the tubes. There is heat marks all along the Tube Store sticker and the right hand (from the back) tubes label is flaking off from the heat. I plugged it in again and watched the tubes heat up. That right hand tube heats up fasts and gets really hot--hotter than the other one. Pretty much as soon as I turn on the standby and the power hits them I smell heat. What's going on?
Sounds to me like you've got a part blown inside the amp. Something is defeating the bias level to one or both tubes.

You need a tech. I wouldn't even bother trying to teach a newbie how to safely troubleshoot and fix this problem by use of a message forum board.

Hopefully it's still under warranty. Most techs hate working on Boogers 'cuz they're designed to keep manufacturing costs low and no thought to ease of service. Many American shops will double their hourly rate to work on a Booger. I've been tempted to do the same. They're just a big PITA, which means a bigger bill to the customer.

I won't argue about the sound! That's all personal taste. It's just that they're far from the easiest of amps to service.

Sorry, but just MHO.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, that's sort of helpful. could anyone recommend a boogie tech in or around Toronto or Peterborough, ON?

·
Premium Member
16,837 Posts
take it in to steves music or something - find a mesa dealer and take it in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
kirk1701, I know this is an old post but maybe I can help you nonetheless. I too have a 50cal+ and experienced a similar problem a while back. If I'm correct, the problem lies in the jacks for the effects loop. Over time they seem to oxidize and lose contact. There are two solutions...you could replace the jacks or as I did, make a short jumper cable and plug it into the effects send/rec. jacks. Problem solved and a common one on Mesas at that.

J.R.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts