The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Do any of you have any knowledge of or experience with Mesa Boogie Road King or Roadster amps?

I've been thinking of switching to a tube amp of late (from a Vox AD60VTX) but would like to retain some of the versatility offered by some of the modeling amps out there.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the Boogies yet but from my research I believe that these models would probably offer up the widest range of sounds available in a tube amp.

If you know anything about these amps (sounds, tone,where to try/buy, pricing, etc.) I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you're looking for versatility in a tube amp, you really can't beat the Road King. It has everything, and then some. If you're a fan of the Mesa tone you will really enjoy this amp, and it will be worth every penny.

Mesa tone is huge, it covers a wide range of frequencies and although the eq can be complex, many different sounds can be achieved. The only thing I've heard people complain about on these amps is that they expect to be able to get any tone from a Road King because of all the options. I mean, you can get ALOT of tones, but there is a very distinct tone to this amp, and it just isn't possible to get away from it. It is a Mesa, it sounds like a Mesa, I guess that's pretty obvious though. Although it is probably the closest thing in a tube amp, it just isn't a modeller. Long and Mcquade carries Mesa, you should try one out for yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Becareful of what you wish for. I have a Mesa Mark III, and its a very versitile amp, but the versitility is its downfall. I hate tweeking amps, and I find one trick ponies are the way to go for me. If you love tweeking, the Mesa amps may be for you, but if you dont like tweeking, you may want to consider something else....................

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey bishbd
you can check the boogie board....tons of info on the amps there

I have been doing a lot of reading there....since Im in week to of lonestar
special ownership....
great amps

http://forum.grailtone.com/

good luck,,,

still jammin
Auger

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Here comes the "but..."

One point to consider with pretty well all the Boogers from the DR days on is that they are a pain in the service shop.

In fact, some shops in the states refuse to work on them.

They really cram together their circuit boards, making it more difficult and time-consuming to trace problems. It would seem that the goal is to machine-wire as much as possible, reducing their manufacturing costs.

While you have a warranty this is no big deal. Quality IS good and problems are few. If you do get a problem under warranty it'll be fixed for free. Afterwards, it's your problem.

This is true of many of the modern amps and not just a fault of Booger. They're just one of the more conspicuous examples.

If you're Metallica you get your Boogers for free, under a business deal/endorsement. The rest of us have to pay.

They do have a wide range of tone but I defy anyone to get a decent clean tone. The crunch circuit is so close to that in a Soldano that lawyers should have shown interest!

Just my opinion but I consider Boogers to be "one-trick ponies" - metal only amps to always be used with a mess of pedals to process the sound. What's more, if that's your sound then a SLO100 is a lot cheaper AND easier to service!

But if you're independently wealthy and your goal is to play nothing but "Enter Sandman"...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your advice, tips, links, etc. I really do value your opinions.

As you all say though, you can never be sure until you try it for yourself, and I intend to do that.

Do any if you have a handle on what the price would/should be for a used Road King combo in excellent to mint condition (I believe about 1 year old)?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts