The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a head stock I was thinking of modifying because just too long.

I'd like to chop off the end and reshape. Top is black, not a problem... but the end will have to be painted to match the back of the head stock.

Similar to a Les Paul... mahogany and a red translucent paint. I'm not sure if clear and stained wood? or a coloured lacquer? acrylic? or what it is.

My thinking was to cut the end off, reshape what's left. Scrape off the red paint and put it into a very small glass jar with a metal lid, with a solvent like acetone... let it liquefy and use it to paint the end with.

Looking to see if this makes sense? is there a better way? how can I tell what it is?

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
It's not that easy.... matching the colour exactly will take a lot of trial and error.

Or refinish the entire headstock.

Nathan

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well cant really refinish the headstock because it, the neck and back of the guitar are all the same colour. Refinish one due to colour match issues, you'd have to do the whole thing.

So, flaking off the old stuff and using a strong thinner/solvent wont work? I know for some drop chip repairs I've seen them drop acetone into the chipped area to soften up the existing paint.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
It really depends on what the finish is.

Laquer is probably the most repairable finish, polyester not so much.

What's the guitar?
Can we get a pic of the headstock front and back?

I had to strip and refinish and entire guitar cause I could not match the finish enough to hide the patches.
It was an
Epiphone sg 400

Nathan

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's for an Agile AL-2000 Les Paul copy, rootbeer finish.

Luckily, even if not 100% match, it would just be the end of the head stock, impossible to see both it and the back at the same time at the same angle of light.

As it is, the head stock looks like Gumby's head.

What I'd like to do is cut the end down to look like a Gibson Les Paul, and get one of those custom decals made, Same fonts as Gibson, to say Agile... and script font for Les Paul to say AL-2000.

Here's some pics, and Gumby!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Chip the top that you're going to cut and try to see if you can match it. Nail polish ? Dollar Store ? ( no I am not a Dollar Store owner or have interests) . I might (if I did it myself) take the black topside off too, sand it down and apply a rosewood veneer ... and go black/dark on that.

Btw .. I have to send my bro a link to your Gumby shot, he's got an AL-25xx. Beauty!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think what I might do is take one of the machine heads off and remove a chip of paint from underneath and put that into some acetone to see if it does or does not liquefy. That way when I put the machine heads back on it covers up the chip. Then if I can't get a colour to match or if I can't liquefy the old paint then I'll just leave everything as is and you won't see the chip I took out.

The top will be completely sanded because I have to remove the old logo since when I cut the top off it'll cut right through the logo. I'll have to sand it down, paint it black, and put a water slide decal on it. Probably I won't go as far as a rose wood veneer on the top though, I'll probably just seal it and paint it.

Hope your bro likes the photo, was a quick photoshop image i did during my lunch break. :)

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
It's for an Agile AL-2000 Les Paul copy, rootbeer finish.

Luckily, even if not 100% match, it would just be the end of the head stock, impossible to see both it and the back at the same time at the same angle of light.

As it is, the head stock looks like Gumby's head.

What I'd like to do is cut the end down to look like a Gibson Les Paul, and get one of those custom decals made, Same fonts as Gibson, to say Agile... and script font for Les Paul to say AL-2000.

Here's some pics, and Gumby!

At that price point it's a non-repairable polester finish.

Carefully cut the headstock end to the desired shape, trying really hard not to chip it.

Get yourself a nail polish thats close-ish or good enough.

Brush it on and play it.

I actually kinda like the current shape, I vote paint it seafoam green and just go with it!

Nathan

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a small part of me that totally wants a Gumby guitar... maybe if I find a cheap roughed up one I will. :D

It's a shame, such a nice looking guitar, rootbeer burst finish, etc... headstock looks almost big enough for a 12-string.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I will guarantee one thing....
If you do anything at all to that headstock, it will NEVER look as good as it does right now.

You can try and prove me wrong but I give it a zero chance of success.
G.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya... I been debating that... one slip and I'll hate myself.

I was on eBay last night thinking, the biggest issue with that headstock is that it's 90% black... all that open black space makes it look bigger. Some of the other Agile models have inlays like the headstock in your photo.

I might just sand it down, a little at the top, bit more in the middle, not through the decal or to the black, just enough to take some thickness down and rough it up a little, and get a nice pearl decal for it. Some are waterslide, some vinyl, but one seller had almost paper thin pearl and abalone inlays. Though to match the logo, I suspect they didn't use real pearl/abalone.

May just add something to the headstock and clear coat over with some Krylon or Rustoleum enamel. I assume they didn't use a lacquer on the guitar. Maybe I'll email them and ask.

@GTmaker - Hey! Guelph! I lived there for 30yrs before moving to KW when I went back to College, then now up here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts