The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my MIM Standard Tele' new about 2 weeks ago. I thought that the strings were a little on the close side, so I thought would loosen the relief a little. I turned it less than an 1/8th of a turn to the left and I was at the end. It was loosened as far as it would go. I had a tech at the place of purchase check this and he kind of acted like it was normal. So..although it plays really well currently, should I be concerned about this for the future.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yeah, raise the action at the bridge.. A truss rod should only be tightened if there is way too much relief and the neck is starting to bow.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
+1 to the above.

Truss rods are for adjusting neck relief.
While that adjustment does have an affect on action it is not meant for adjusting action.
Action is adjusted at the saddles first and then the neck angle (pocket) if saddles aren't enough.
NEVER monkey around with your truss rod unless there is a problem with your neck relief.
If you don't know what relief is or why it is important then stop doing shit to your guitar's adjustments before you fuck something up.

Go to the Fender website.
Under the Support section you will find educational articles of many kinds.
Included in there will be a setup guide for your Tele.
Read it as many times as it takes for you to understand all of it.
Especially the sequence of adjustments.
Then you can attempt to set up your own guitar.
Do NOT deviate from the sequence.

Reactions: dradlin

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Semantics aside, If you backed off the nut all the way and the neck is still flat under string tension, yes there's an issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Semantics aside, If you backed off the nut all the way and the neck is still flat under string tension, yes there's an issue.
Well, the tech I was talking to said that was normal. The only thing thing that would change that are heavier strings or humidity changes could also effect it. I am going to check with another tech next week.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
The point is if the string gauge you use cannot pull any relief in the neck - as in it only goes to dead flat (and presumably into back bow with no strings and no rod input), that's an issue with obvious implications.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There seems to be a difference of opinions. On another forum, this is what was said....

"Do you mean after turning counterclockwise the nut was completely loose?If so that is normal. It's not a dual action truss rod. If the nut Stopped being able to loosen that is a different story.

If the first and you want more relief, just leave it strung and tuned for a while with the rod loosened. If that doesn't give the desired relief go to heavier strings.

OTOH you say the strings were on the close side: You don't set string height AKA action with the truss rod you do that with the set screws on the saddles.

Hope this helps."

Anyway, as stated next week I will take it back to the place that I got it and see what they think. They have a satisfaction guaranteed with a 30 day return. I have only had it a little over two weeks.
I really love the guitar and hope all can be resolved.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
if the neck is straight or has a little relief you may be ok,

(fret the 6th string at the first fret with your left hand and use the baby finger of your right hand to fret the 6th string at the 14 fret and you can the check relief. while you have the string fretted use the first finger to tap the string between the frets around the 9/ 10/11 frets and you will be able to hear the string hit the fret if there is relief) but ideally you would want more that an 1/8 turn to a slack rod.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if the neck is straight or has a little relief you may be ok,

(fret the 6th string at the first fret with your left hand and use the baby finger of your right hand to fret the 6th string at the 14 fret and you can the check relief. while you have the string fretted use the first finger to tap the string between the frets around the 9/ 10/11 frets and you will be able to hear the string hit the fret if there is relief) but ideally you would want more that an 1/8 turn to a slack rod.....
Yes, I can hear the string hit the fret.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I bought my MIM Standard Tele' new about 2 weeks ago. I thought that the strings were a little on the close side, so I thought would loosen the relief a little. I turned it less than an 1/8th of a turn to the left and I was at the end. It was loosened as far as it would go. I had a tech at the place of purchase check this and he kind of acted like it was normal. So..although it plays really well currently, should I be concerned about this for the future.
Yes, I would worry about it............................in the future. If it's playing really well, why worry about it?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
If you are concerned, go take it back for another one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so you do have some relief. how much space between the string and 6th 0r 7th frets at the when you have the string fretted at the 1st and 14th.
It is very close, but I think there a little movement.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
well you will have lots of room for adjustment as the neck adjusts to string tension over the years. the only issue you may encounter is if the neck develops a back bow.
it is interesting that you felt the strings were too close, most people are trying to get them as close as possible ;-) ......
if it was me i would probably snug the truss rod back up and play on making sure to keep an eye on the relief, especially when the winter comes and humidity changes....good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
well you will have lots of room for adjustment as the neck adjusts to string tension over the years. the only issue you may encounter is if the neck develops a back bow.
it is interesting that you felt the strings were too close, most people are trying to get them as close as possible ;-) ......
if it was me i would probably snug the truss rod back up and play on making sure to keep an eye on the relief, especially when the winter comes and humidity changes....good luck
I too like the strings close but I was getting a tiny bit of buzz on the low E & A strings between the 3rd and 8th fret. I was thinking that close action was perhaps too much of a good thing and thought that putting a little bow in the neck, the buzz might be alleviated. The tiny movement counterclockwise was when I noticed that the truss rod was at it's maximum looseness. I did make the truss rod snug..but just barely.
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have another two weeks that I can return the guitar. Before that, I am going to talk to the tech where I bought it and see if he thinks there is a problem and might be an issue in the future.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts