The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know a few of the radio hits. I know Kim Mitchell fronted - saw them live in 1979 (Harlequin-Max-Eddie Money-Burton Cummings, first outdoor show I ever saw). Don’t know how many records they had, or what were their best, but considering diving in just for something new. My sense is their music maybe complex and take a lot of ‘hard turns? Sorta art rock, no?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
A Million Vacations is their most commercial, and most keyboard oriented album.

Universal Juveniles has amazing guitar playing on it, and Rush joining the band on Battlescar.

Mutiny up my Sleeve is probably the best cohesive Max album IMO with Beyond the Moon and The Party.

But I love all their albums and have listened to them 100s of times.

Reactions: keto

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Paul Gilbert once stated that In the World of Giants was a huge influence.

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
I like all of the Max Webster albums, but recently I’ve been favouring Universal Juveniles.

Some great hard hitting tunes and excellent guitar work there.

I first saw Max opeining up for Rush down in New Brunswick, must have been 76ish.

Great live show. Kimbo’s the man.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ritchie Blackmore told Mitchell, "hey you are pretty good but you should be playing a Strat" LOL

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Great thread. Gonna have to check out Universal Juveniles and a bunch more stuff. I'm only familiar with a few choice Webster tunes like Battlescar, Hangover, Diamonds Diamonds etc...Very familiar with his Solo stuff though.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Kim Mitchell is a national treasure, the guy was literally the soundtrack to Canada in the 80s.

I've seen him quite a few times and not once did he ever call in a show, regardless of the size of the venue.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I saw Webster a lot during the 80s. Small venues, stadia, and everything in between. Always a great show, and the band really sounded great live. Terry Watkinson is one of the rock keyboardists most deserving of greater recognition in my opinion.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Among my guitar playing friends, we all agree Kim is a hugely underrated player. He has some incredible licks! Personal favorite is Check off Universal Juveniles. . Love the outro solo.

Reactions: keto

·
Premium Member
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Most of the tunes mentioned so far I have heard at one time or another, my brother owned Battlescar. Did grow up with a very solid local fm station, 92CITI in Winnipeg, so would have heard most (at the very beginning of me and fm) of them when they were new now that I think about it. Thought there might be some earlier catalogue to explore but Wiki tells me not much. Still think will make some my next music purchase, though 2 locations of Sunrise don’t have any, yes I am still buying probably half my music in physical form these days and think this would be worthy of that.

EDIT just bought an 8 CD box set for $71 on amazon. Ain’t the internet great?

Always did like most of their radio stuff, just not well enough to buy in my early formative years, then they fell off my radar in any real way for years.

When I saw them in 79, Let Go The Line was at probably radio peak, and I wasn’t a big fan but...walking away from the show they were easily my favourite. Harlequin were a rough bar band getting a break, nothing like their later commercial sound. Eddie Money had a good band, but he’d already had his big hit. Burton was meh for me, he was sorta Elton John ish at the time, feather boa, full white jumpsuit. I’d have paid to see EJ do it, not so much BC.

Thanks for all the input all, and feel free to chime in with more.

·
Premium Member
8,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy crap, @laristotle , that vid in the second post! I’ve never seen that, don’t know the tune, but wow! Anyone who wants to see hard hitting art rock, lots of twists and turns and 4 SOLID musicians, get back there and watch it. It’s not ‘radio’ Max Webster, more like stuff a band who had covered Zappa might do, as again Larry had mentioned possible earlier.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Did grow up with a very solid local fm station, 92CITI in Winnipeg, so would have heard most (at the very beginning of me and fm)
You probably remember bro jake and his disco destruction army then. ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts