1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
L:MAO

·
Registered
24,159 Posts
Kinda disappointing. First, that it's a fake. Second that it isn't evena replacement of the same value or voltage rating. Running those caps at a safe voltage for the value stated on the outside could conceivably exceed the safe rating for the inside, and capacitor go poof.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
The small cap in the big can is not even all that uncommon. Some people have to get the look.
The problem is when they use lower voltage like in the first post. It won't do what it's supposed to.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
The small cap in the big can is not even all that uncommon. Some people have to get the look.
The problem is when they use lower voltage like in the first post. It won't do what it's supposed to.
Well, it might - for a while. Like till just after the warranty has expired?

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
That's a potential safety hazard. If they're doing the same thing with high voltage applications someone could get killed. Imagine a 35V cap being disguised as a 450V cap.
I don't know if someone could potentially get killed (I've blown up my fair share of electrolytics), but it would most likely 'let the smoke out'. The good news? The smoke would be contained by the second can.

Reactions: sambonee

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I don't know if someone could potentially get killed (I've blown up my fair share of electrolytics), but it would most likely 'let the smoke out'. The good news? The smoke would be contained by the second can.
I don't know what the odds would be, but it's not impossible that it could fail and short the high voltage to the chassis. Couple that with poor grounding, or a tech doing live testing of the open chassis...

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
I don't know what the odds would be, but it's not impossible that it could fail and short the high voltage to the chassis. Couple that with poor grounding, or a tech doing live testing of the open chassis...
I've never seen an electrolytic fail and short out. The open up - in catastrophic ways. Not to say it can't happen, but IME it would be very exceptional and not at all common.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I've never seen an electrolytic fail and short out. The open up - in catastrophic ways. Not to say it can't happen, but IME it would be very exceptional and not at all common.
Nor have I, but I would think extreme voltage overloading would be a good way to try and make it happen!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Further on that, here is the example, sprague atoms that are made to look bigger like the classic type but you pay a lot extra for the 'mojo'. These are proper caps inside, like the gibson example posted by greco.
If you get the modern version (smaller) you can save quite a bit for the same value cap. Go to radial style leads and you can really save a lot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm with JB on this one. There is a lot of marketing with caps and more expensive doesn't always mean better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts