The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does everyone ask for so much cash for these used. It seems to be that every one I see for sale is 90-110% of retail price. They're really not hard to get new, L&M is a dealer and the wait for a new amp is only 3 or 4 months. I just don't get how/why people think they're worth so much used.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
I assume you mean the reverb prices. They are stupid high on many things.

I find the prices here on the forum are usually pretty reasonable, there have been a couple of C30 heads for around 2200-2500$, they are just over 4K CAD before tax so that is around 60-70% of the new price, the Clubman that was up last week was 1800, again about 60-70% of the new price in CAD.

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you mean the reverb prices. They are stupid high on many things.

I find the prices here on the forum are usually pretty reasonable, there have been a couple of C30 heads for around 2200-2500$, they are just over 4K CAD before tax so that is around 60-70% of the new price, the Clubman that was up last week was 1800, again about 60-70% of the new price in CAD.
Without pointing fingers at specific ads it's hard to comment... let's just say a new SC30 is $4600 from L&M. I know there have been a few good deals through here but generally people ask crazy used prices. It's just confusing to me.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
17,202 Posts
Probably because they don't come up often and are high end.

·
Premium Member
12,296 Posts
There seems to be a preference for early 90's builds - before the guy left to start BadCat or whatever.

They are built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Huge transformers, heavy chassis, nice wiring (a la Hiwatt). A buddy has a DC30 that I prefer to not move. OMFG it is heavy. I'm way past 212 combos anyways - my Roadster cured me of that itch.

Speaking of itches, my Trinity TC15 seemed to have stopped me lusting after my buddy's DC30. And as I get older, I know I'd never move it anywhere, whereas that TC15 is easy to deal with. Not the loudest 15 watter out there, but it's got the tonez. And my PowerStation solves the 'not loud enough' issue when it comes up.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I had a Spitfire prototype from the "Sampson-era" that I kept for a decade and sold (with paperwork from them stating it was a prototype) for just over 4 times what I paid for it originally (at a police auction so no haggling down). Over built with premium components and tank-like. I don't follow them close enough, but I believe the earlier models (Sampson) hold the cache that pre-CBS Fender or pre-factory PRS guitars might hold - but that's just my general vibe on them. No offense implied or otherwise to anyone with a more recent build.

I found the Spitfire to be essentially a 1-trick pony - but it was glorious at its one trick.

I would liken it to the difference in closing the door on a '74 Cadillac land yacht and then a recent 4-door Honda. The fullness and girth of the tone was immediate, and very fulfilling.

I never thought I would sell the amp - but there was apparently a price that would make me part with it.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Probably because they don't come up often and are high end.

Actually I think they come up fairly often. Almost any time I search Kijiji I will see one or 2. I've seen a few quite regularly here. In comparison Tone King amps are rare to see for sale, are as high end as Matchless, yet don't seem to be as crazy on the used prices.
The Sampson era Matchless seem to carry a premium. I tried a Matchless once at L&M in Ottawa and thought it was pretty nice but no nicer than Dr Z, who also base their design on the Vox circuit. Maybe you're getting better build quality with Matchless, not sure. Do you need it built like a tank if it spends 90% of the time sitting in your music room?

·
Premium Member
17,202 Posts
Do you need it built like a tank if it spends 90% of the time sitting in your music room?
A lot of the folks with the nicer gear have nicer gear because they dont play out often :p

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A lot of the folks with the nicer gear have nicer gear because they dont play out often :p
Unfortunately playing for a living doesn't typically produce a good income.

Reactions: Dorian2 and Budda

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I also spent alot more on gear post touring years.
I started touring back in 1981. I had a 62 Telecaster that cost me $700, a Peavey Classic Chorus that cost me about $500 and 3 or 4 boss pedals that were cheap. All told I had under $2k worth of gear even with mic and cables, etc. Post touring I've had as much as $50,000 worth of gear at one time in my house. And thats just guitars, amps and pedals. I'm down to about 27k in gear and thats about where I'll retire. Probably scale down a bit more but not much.
All this just to play a gig once a month or so and play in my house. I could easily get by with one acoustic, one electric and one amp, 3 or 4 pedals. But its nice and a bit of a luxury to own nice gear. I could probably cheap out on everything except my acoustic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts