The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Jefferson Airplane was huge way back then.

Many moons ago, I heard an AOR-style song on the radio with the opening line "Is everything alright?". I never caught the announcement from the DJ of who was the singer. Then, I mentioned it to a schoolmate and he said, "oh, that's a Marty Balin song". I went, "Marty Balin? THAT Marty Balin? Jefferson Airplane?!"..... I still enjoy listening to that song to this day.

A while ago, I heard that he had some serious health issues after heart surgery. I think it also affected his vocal cords.

R.I.P. Marty Balin

·
Registered
24,384 Posts
I had the pleasure of seeing a double bill with the Jefferson Airplane and original Grateful Dead in 1967. They played outside on the plaza at Place Ville Marie in Montreal to a very large crowd. Both Balin and Grace Slick had quite the set of pipes on them. Slick's mic went dead but you could still hear her over the band. The two of them together was magic, though. Volunteers is still one of the great albums of the '60s both vocally and instrumentally.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Many moons ago, I heard an AOR-style song on the radio with the opening line "Is everything alright?". I never caught the announcement from the DJ of who was the singer. Then, I mentioned it to a schoolmate and he said, "oh, that's a Marty Balin song". I went, "Marty Balin? THAT Marty Balin? Jefferson Airplane?!"..... I still enjoy listening to that song to this day.
I didn't know that song (Hearts) was his either. As soon I read the opening line from the song in your post, it started playing in my head.
Interesting as I had read this morning that one of the reasons he left the band was because of his leaning more towards pop type material.
RIP Marty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts