The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Anybody ever play or own a Marin D-18 from the 1990s? How would they compare to the newer designs post-2012? The newer ones have more of a vintage vibe in toner and machine heads as well as the bracing. I think the neck shape is different on the new ones.

Any experiences?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
The pre 2012 ones have non scalloped bracing,1 11/16 nut width and a plain jane look-most of them do sound great for what they are-a lot of them are out there with happy owners.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,414 Posts
Both are good guitars.

The post 2012 guitar is totally different.

In some ways it is an HD-18.

I have a 2012. I like it a lot.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The one I have isn't from the 90's but 2005 but I don't believe the specs changed in that time. If I remember right I think the new D18 has a bit more bottom end and a slimmer neck. Both nice guitars but as different as comparing a D28 to a HD28V, some people like one and some like the other. I found the pre 2012s could be hit or miss whereas I haven't played a 2013- that I didn't like yet.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Love my 2014 D-18.

If I had won the lottery I would still have bought this guitar.
Depends how much on the lottery you win. If you win the big one (multi-millions) then it would be a 30's or very early 40's vintage or at the very least the D-18 Authentic 37 or 39 which are dramatically superior to the D-18 standard.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know you're asking about the D-18, but my 1991 HD 28 was the first year the "P" (low-profile) neck shape became standard. In 1991 only, they were actually called, "HD-28P," and once the transition year was over, they dropped the "P" designation but kept the low profile neck shape. I suspect it was in response to Taylor being reputed as having "faster" necks, as they were really emphasizing in their advertising then.

All that to say, determine which neck profile the D 18 had before you pull the trigger. Today, the standard series has the "Modified Low Oval," on the 18, and the "Low Profile" on the HD 28. Honestly, the only Martin neck shape I don't like is the Modified V, just because it's so pointed on the backside. Here's a rough guide:
Guitar Neck Shapes | C.F. Martin & Co.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Depends how much on the lottery you win. If you win the big one (multi-millions) then it would be a 30's or very early 40's vintage or at the very least the D-18 Authentic 37 or 39 which are dramatically superior to the D-18 standard.
You're telling me what I would do?

You don't know what I would do sir!

lol

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts