The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this doesn't turn in to a debate between those who like relic'd guitars and those who don't. Fender has been relicing guitars for a while. Now Martin is jumping in to the game with relic'd acoustics called "Martin aged". I'm pretty sure they'll be doing this on guitars from the Authentic line and will be done in the custom shop.
So my question for those that like the relicing of electric guitars. Do you think this would work as well for acoustic guitars?
Many over at the Martin forum are against it. But to be fair many think that from what they see so far Martin isn't doing a great job of making them look "authentic". Another company that specializes in making prewar spec guitars with a worn look, called "The Prewar guitar company", seems to be doing a better job at cool looking aged acoustics.
At my age, I don't have time to wait around for 25 - 30 years for my guitar to have that graceful aged look so I think I wouldn't mind a simulated aged look. I'd probably be more in to a very lightly aged with a thin finish more so to give it a head start. Somewhat similar to Fenders old "Closet Classic" Nocaster which was suppose to simulate a guitar that was kept in its case in the closet for 50-60 years. No real wear on it. Thats what I'd prefer in an acoustic. That way I might only wait 10-15 years for it to get some natural looking wear.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Interesting process but I'll take a new shiny one any day over something made to look old.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The relicd guitars niche is here to stay, no matter how ridiculous it seems to some of us. I don't see why it should be any less successful for acoustics.
My way of thinking, and I could be completely wrong, is that Electric guitarists tend to be more of the gigging nature, so the appeal for a well worn look may be higher. Acoustic players tend be generally more home players and these home players tend to like their guitars to stay shiny and new looking forever if possible. Home players tend to agonize over mishaps resulting in dings, bumps and bruises.
Since, right now this aged process is being carried out on Martins most expensive line it seems more targeted to the home user with lots of money and are proud of their possessions looking shiny and new.
I am not totally adverse to the idea of an aged looking Martin but if it comes down to paying extra for it (which it surely will) then I'm quite happy with my shiny new one.
I bought my D-18 Authentic used, almost 4 years old and it looks as shiny and mint as a brand new one. It came from a guy that has lots of money and lots of expensive guitars and was never outside of his house. It will experience the same situation at my house so not likely this guitar will look aged for another 40 years. I'm at the age where expensive guitar acquisitions are a thing of the past. I'll likely not sell my 2 acoustics. So I wouldn't mind if in 10 years they had that worn look. Its unlikely though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.